Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could someone somewhat plainly explain what is unification, when it is

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    Could someone somewhat plainly explain what is unification, when it is used and what does it "buy"? I just have heard of it and searched online a bit but it is a bit hazy for me.
    A small example would be appreciated as well :redface: .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What field are you talking about? "Unification", in general, means "unifying" or combining two concepts. The most famous "unification" is not in mathematics but in physics: unifying Gravity and Electromagnatism, the "unified field theory".

4. Jan 14, 2007 #3
    sorry, yeah, I am talking about mathematical logic (computer science related) more so than physics.

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

verty

Homework Helper

From wikipedia:

I think one can think of it as a token that is of both types. There is no possible unification of 'square' and 'circle' because one can't get a square circle, but 'red' and 'ball' are unified in 'red ball'. Anyway, that's my intuition of it. 'Red ball' is a minimal unification because all other unifications (like 'red beach ball') do qualify as red balls.

Or perhaps I'm totally wrong.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  6. Jan 14, 2007 #5

verty

Homework Helper

Oh, I didn't quite read it properly. A unification is a join between a general term and a more specific term, like a chain of inclusion. A labrador is a dog and a dog is an animal, so I guess the unification of labrador and animal is that chain (labrador <= dog <= animal). A minimal unification is the shortest chain of inclusion between the two terms.

Er, no, that's not right either. One of the mathematical folks will surely explain it shortly.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  7. Jan 16, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your first example was correct. The unification of "labrador" and "animal" is "animal". In a slightly more useful example, the unification of "labrador" and "persion", in terms of biology, would be "mammal", the smallest class that includes both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?