Could two past events result in the same happening?

• Thread starter Gonzalo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Events
In summary, there is a possibility for two past events to result in the same happening, as seen in the example of the "incident A" with two different explanations. This raises the question of which story is true, but this question may not make sense in certain situations such as Schrödinger's cat. In quantum mechanics, backward determinism may not be true, but there can still be multiple pasts leading to the same outcome. This concept is exemplified in Feynman's sum over histories. In everyday life, this idea is often seen in courtrooms.
Gonzalo
Hello Everybody.

Could two past events result in the same happening? For example: We have observed the "incident A" and we have two different stories to explain that incident: The "history 1" and the "history 2". Both stories are equally plausible and equally likely. The question is "which of these stories is true?" Does this question make sense? Are both true stories?

The thing is that I've been thinking about Schrödinger's poor cat and I wondered if, just as there are multiple futures, there may be multiple pasts.

Thank you very much and sorry for my English :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gonzalo said:
The thing is that I've been thinking about Schrödinger's poor cat and I wondered if, just as there are multiple futures, there may be multiple pasts.
Sure, in the double-slit experiment a particle hits the screen. In the past, it might have gone through slit 1 or it might have gone through slit 2.

Bill_K said:
Sure, in the double-slit experiment a particle hits the screen. In the past, it might have gone through slit 1 or it might have gone through slit 2.
I am not sure about this answer. In two slit experiments, we have one wave function evolving deterministically until measurement at the screen. According to many QM interpretations, this is just one history: the particle does not follow a determinate path and does not have a determinate position until measurement. Before then the wave function is all.
Using such interpretations, the answer to the original question is still yes. Two wave functions can both collapse to the same position at measurement, for example. Measuring that position would be one event with two possible histories.

BenjaminTR said:
I am not sure about this answer
This is the whole point of Feynman's sum over histories. There's an amplitude for the particle to pass through slit 1, and an amplitude for the particle to pass through slit 2, and the probability for the particle to be detected at a certain point on the screen is a coherent combination of the two.

Bill_K said:
This is the whole point of Feynman's sum over histories. There's an amplitude for the particle to pass through slit 1, and an amplitude for the particle to pass through slit 2, and the probability for the particle to be detected at a certain point on the screen is a coherent combination of the two.
I see. I was thinking of the question as asking whether backward determinism is true in QM even if forward determinism is not. I now realize this interpretation of the question does not make sense given the analogy to Schrodinger's cat, so your answer is better.

Gonzalo said:
Could two past events result in the same happening? For example: We have observed the "incident A" and we have two different stories to explain that incident: The "history 1" and the "history 2". Both stories are equally plausible and equally likely. The question is "which of these stories is true?" Does this question make sense? Are both true stories?

I think this happens everyday in courtrooms. :-)

1. Could two past events result in the same happening?

Yes, it is possible for two past events to result in the same happening. This is known as a coincidence. It can occur due to a variety of factors such as chance, human behavior, or a common underlying cause.

2. How do we determine if two past events resulted in the same happening?

Determining if two past events resulted in the same happening requires thorough analysis and consideration of all relevant factors. This can include examining the timing, context, and potential causal relationships between the events.

3. Are there any scientific theories or explanations for coincidences?

There are several scientific theories that attempt to explain coincidences, including the law of large numbers, synchronicity, and the cognitive bias theory. However, the nature of coincidences is still largely debated and not fully understood.

4. Can coincidences be predicted or controlled?

It is not possible to predict or control coincidences with certainty. While some may argue that certain practices or rituals can increase the likelihood of coincidences, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.

5. How do coincidences impact our understanding of cause and effect?

Coincidences can challenge our understanding of cause and effect, as they suggest that events may occur without a clear or direct cause. However, it is important to approach coincidences with critical thinking and not jump to supernatural or irrational explanations.