1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The magnitude of electrical force between a pair of charged particles is _____ as much when the particles are moved half as far apart.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that Coulomb's Law is.

F = k q1 q2 / d^2

So is the answer just putting in the distance which is 1/2 and squaring it? So is it just 1/2^2?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Be careful -- the distance between particles appears in the denominator of Coulomb's Law. So if the distance is halved, what happens to this ratio?
  4. Jun 1, 2008 #3
    If the distance distance is halved then the ratio would increase... I just don't know by how much...
  5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    Will the force increase or decrease? and by what factor? Hint: What is [tex](\frac{1}{2})^2[/tex]?
  6. Jun 1, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

I think you mean [tex]\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex] ; the halved distance is in the denominator for Coulomb's Law...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?