Count Von Roo's Halloween Party: 141 Monsters, 350 Socks

• Thread starter majinknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary: But by doing that i have elimenated a variable i was trying to find. If anyone would know how i was to solve this problem it would be much appreciated.suppose the number of yurbles is x. Then the rukis are with 141 - x.So the total number of socks needed is 2x+4(141-x) = 350.
majinknight
Count Von Roo invited 141 monsters to his castle for a Halloween costume party, and all of the guests were either Yurbles (2 feeted monsters) or Rukis (4 feeted monsters). Because he had recently polished the floors, he provided socks for each of the guests so that they wouldn't scuff the floors.
If he required 350 socks total for his guests, how many of his guests were Yurbles?

Ok so at first i went and set it up as let y= yurbles and x=rikis so then i had two equations. 141=y+x and 350=y+x. so
y=141-x
350=(141-x)+x
But by doing that i have elimenated a variable i was trying to find. If anyone would know how i was to solve this problem it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
suppose the number of yurbles is x. Then the rukis are with 141 - x.

The number of socks for the Yurbles is 2x and for the Rukis 4(141-x)

so that in toto : 2x + 4(141-x) = 350

marlon

Hi majinknight,

A Yurble needs 2 socks and a Ruki needs 4 socks.
So the total number of socks needed is 2y+4x.

Galileo said:
Hi majinknight,

A Yurble needs 2 socks and a Ruki needs 4 socks.
So the total number of socks needed is 2y+4x.

Galileo, y represents the number of Rukis and x represents the number of Yurbles. Hence, the equation should be 2x + 4y = 350

majinknight, Just keep in mind that y = 141 - x.

Therefore, 2x + 4y = 2x + 4(141-x) = 350. Essentially what marlon said.

recon said:
Galileo, y represents the number of Rukis and x represents the number of Yurbles.
Well, Marlon changed the definition.

The original by majinknight said:
majinknight said:
Ok so at first i went and set it up as let y= yurbles and x=rikis

ok, lots of confusion here. :mad: I hope we have not scared majinknight away. :biggrin:

Oh ok i see what i did wrong, thanks a lot it makes much more sense now.

1. What is Count Von Roo's Halloween Party: 141 Monsters, 350 Socks?

Count Von Roo's Halloween Party: 141 Monsters, 350 Socks is an annual event hosted by Count Von Roo, a vampire who lives in the Haunted Woods. The party is known for its spooky atmosphere, costume contests, and the opportunity to collect 350 unique Halloween-themed socks.

2. How many monsters attend Count Von Roo's Halloween Party?

The party is named after the 141 monsters who are invited to attend. However, it is rumored that more monsters may show up uninvited.

3. Why are socks such a big part of the party?

Count Von Roo has a love for collecting unique socks, and it has become a tradition for him to give out 350 different socks at his Halloween party. The socks are usually themed around Halloween and are highly sought after by collectors.

4. Is Count Von Roo's Halloween Party open to humans?

Yes, the party is open to all creatures, including humans. However, be warned that it is a spooky and potentially dangerous event, so it is not recommended for the faint of heart.

5. How can I attend Count Von Roo's Halloween Party?

To attend the party, you must first receive an invitation from Count Von Roo himself. These invitations are rare and are usually given to those who have helped Count Von Roo in the past. However, there have been rumors of people sneaking into the party without an invitation, but it is not advised.