Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Countable But Not Second Countable Topological Space

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    I'm wondering if someone can furnish me with either an example of a topological space that is countable (cardinality) but not second countable or a proof that countable implies second countable. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the countable set [itex]\mathbb{N}\times\mathbb{N}[/itex]. Topologize it by making any set that doesn't contain (0,0) open, and if a set does contain (0,0), it's open iff it contains all but a finite number of points in all but a finite number of columns. (Draw a picture. If an open set contains (0,0), then it can only miss infinitely many points in a finite number of columns, while it misses finitely many points in all the other columns.)

Now this topology doesn't have a countable base at (0,0), so it's not first countable let alone second countable.

Source: Steen & Seebach, Counterexamples in Topology, page 54. They call it the Arens-Fort Space.

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    Thanks! I own that book so I'll be having a look pretty soon.

5. Sep 30, 2007 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've been thinking about this a little bit more, and I believe I have another example, although it's a bit more 'sophisticated' in that it requires a bit of advanced set theory.

This time our countable set is X = [itex]\mathbb{N} \cup \{\mathbb{N}\}[/itex]. Take any free ultrafilter F on [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex], and define a topology on X by letting each subset {n} of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] be open, and defining nbhds of [itex]\left{\mathbb{N}\right}[/itex] to be those of the form [itex]\{\mathbb{N}\} \cup U[/itex], where U is in F. As in the previous example, this topology fails to have a countable base at [itex]\left{\mathbb{N}\right}[/itex] (because we cannot have a countable base for any free ultrafilter on the naturals), so again it fails to be first countable.

Edit:
    Hmm... Now I'm wondering if there's a countable space that's first countable but not second countable!

Edit2:
    Maybe that was silly. If X is countable and has a first countable topology, then the union of the bases at each of its points is the countable union of countable sets and is hence countable (and a basis for the topology). So, I'm lead to conclude that a countable, first countable space is necessarily second countable.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?