1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting multiplicities of a particle lattice

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    This is from Molecular Driving Forces, 2nd Ed.

5.3: Calculating the entropy of mixing. Consider a lattice with N sites and n green particles, and another lattice with M sites and m red particles. These lattices cannot exchange particles. This is state A.

(a) What is the total number of configurations, [itex]W_{a}[/itex] of the system in state A?

[itex]{{N}\choose{n}}{{M}\choose{m}}[/itex]

(b) Now assume that all of the N+M sites are available to all the green and red particles. The particles remain distinguishable by their color. This is state B. What is the total configurations [itex]W_{b}[/itex] of the system?

I'm counting it like this: we have three species: red balls, green balls, and empty spaces, with a population of n, m, and (N+M-n-m) respectively. There are N+M total sites, so we have

[itex]\frac{(N+M)!}{n!m!(N+M-n-m)!}[/itex]

Now take N =M and n =m for the following two problems:
    (c) Using Stirling's approximation, what is the ratio of [itex]\frac{W_{a}}{W_{b}}[/itex]?

For [itex]W_{a} = {{N}\choose{n}}{{N}\choose{n}} \\
    = \left(\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}\right)^{2} \\
    ≈ \left(\frac{\left(\frac{N}{e}\right)^{N}}{\left( \frac{n}{e}\right)^{n}\left(\frac{N-n}{e}\right)^{(N-n)}}\right)^{2} \\
    = \left(\frac{N^{N}}{n^{n} (N-n)^{(N-n)}}\right)^{2} \\
    = \frac{N^{2N}}{n^{2n} (N-n)^{2(N-n)}} \\
    [/itex]

[itex]
    W_{b} = \frac{(2N)!}{n!n!((2(N-n))!} \\
    ≈ \frac{(2N)^{2N}}{n^{2n}(2(N-n))^{2(N-n)}} \\
    = \frac{2^{2N}N^{2N}}{2^{2(N-n)}n^{2n}(N-n)^{2(N-n)}} \\
    = \frac{2^{2n}N^{2N}}{n^{2n}(N-n)^{2(N-n)}} \\
    [/itex]

These are the same except for a factor of [itex]2^{2n}[/itex] in the numerator of [itex]W_{b}[/itex], so [itex]\frac{W_{a}}{W_{b}} = \frac{1}{2^{2n}}[/itex]

Now while I was trying to figure out how to count a system of red balls and green balls, I started by trying to count a simpler model: a system of size 2N with 2n indistinguishable balls. I assumed that this system would have a higher multiplicity than two systems of size N with n balls each.

In other words, I assumed that [itex]{{N}\choose{n}}^{2} < {{2N}\choose{2n}}[/itex].

I reasoned that the multiplicity of my new system of 2n indistinguishable balls, call it state C, would be approximated by Sterling's approximation like this:

[itex]W_{c} ≈ \frac{(2N)^{2N}}{(2n)^{2n}(2(N-n))^{2(N-n)}}[/itex]

But after manipulation, I found that:

[itex]
    W_{c} ≈ \frac{(2N)^{2N}}{(2n)^{2n}(2(N-n))^{2(N-n)}} \\
    = \frac{2^{2N}N^{2N}}{2^{2n}2^{2(N-n)}n^{2n}(N-n)^{2(N-n)}} \\
    = \frac{N^{2N}}{n^{2n}(N-n)^{2(N-n)}} \\
    = W_{a}
    [/itex]

But since [itex]W_{a} = {{N}\choose{n}}^{2} \\
    W_{c} = {{2N}\choose{2n}} \\
    [/itex]
    We have [itex] {{N}\choose{n}}^{2} = {{2N}\choose{2n}} [/itex] for N sufficiently large.

I have confirmed with code that [itex] \frac{lim}{N \to ∞} ({{N}\choose{\frac{N}{2}}}^{2} / {{2N}\choose{N}} ) = 0 [/itex], so [itex] {{N}\choose{\frac{N}{2}}}^{2} ≠ {{2N}\choose{N}} [/itex]

This implies that I've miscounted either [itex]W_{a}[/itex] or [itex]W_{c}[/itex] - could someone show me the way?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to use a more accurate approximation for n!. You left out the √(2πn) part.
    Suppose we write p = n/N. Then ##{{N}\choose{n}} ≈ \left(p^p\left(1-p\right)^{1-p}\right)^{-N-\frac12} \left(2\pi N\right)^{-\frac12}##
    Writing ##r = p^p\left(1-p\right)^{1-p}##, ##{{N}\choose{n}} ≈ r^{-N} \left(2\pi r N\right)^{-\frac12}##
    So ##{{N}\choose{n}}^2 ≈ r^{-2N} \left(2\pi r N\right)^{-1}##, ##{{2N}\choose{2n}} ≈ r^{-2N} \left(4\pi r N\right)^{-\frac12}##. The ratio of these is ##\left(\pi r N\right)^{\frac12}##

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted