Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting my chickens and all that

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, I'm currently looking for a job. I've been telling myself all through school that my current car has to last me, and it has... barely. It currently has no ABS (the modulator is bad, but the brakes still work) so it can't go through the Maryland emissions test which is due. It is leaking oil. The driver side mirror is cracked. Etc. Etc. The little thing has held up fairly well considering I only payed $10K for it and have only put about $1000 into repairs over the 7 years I've had it. Here's my current... not the one in the picture, but one of her 2-doored sisters...

I'm close enough to it now that I'm thinking about what type I want to get as a replacement, and now I invite you all to share in my wet dream. :tongue2:

These are the ones I'm currently debating:

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Chrysler Sebring Convertible. :!!)

I just noticed the Pontiac Solstice, which is a very sekschy thing.

Then there is the Nissan Z. More than I want to spend by a little bit, but I might still consider it if I can get a good deal somewhere.

Lastly, the trusty Mustang

Which should I get? Did I miss any others? I'm looking for a sporty car. There will be time for sensible cars when I whelp my offspring. That isn't going to be for a little while longer, yet.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    I would suggest the Sebring convertible. I have a red one. Love that car.

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    Go for the Nissan Z, but buy it used, like 1-2 years old. If you buy it new it will just depreciate the moment you drive off the lot. Its not worth it. Japp cars are notoriously more reliable. If you want reliablity, buy a honda, without question. Mine is 8 years old, and has broken down a total of 0 times so far. It has 108k miles on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...ryZ43919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is a very good, fast, sporty car.

I also like this version and year of the VW Jetta, its real nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...QQcategoryZ6021QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Its sort of the 'BMW M3' of jettas. But, the jetta is made for midgets. The interior is horribly small. Its pathetic. Germans are not small people, I dont know what made them think anyone in germany would fit inside that thing?

5. Jan 22, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After over 700,000 miles, gotta say it: Go Japanese. Many are made here now anyway.

6. Jan 22, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Honda Civic Sedan - 4 door. A very practical car.

Also look at the mileage, how many miles you might drive each year, and figure the cost of gasoline.

You may also consider the resale value, even after 10-12 years.

7. Jan 22, 2006 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't want a practical car yet. :yuck:
    If I can find a practical car that looks sporty, then fine... but I don't want one that LOOKS like I'm practical.
    For crying out loud. My handle is enigma. I picked that for a reason. :grumpy: Ever since I cut my hair off last year, I've been worried that the leather motorcycle jacket just isn't cutting it... little old ladies don't shy away from me (as much) any more... I at least want a car that doesn't scream: I'm a middle-class engineer.

A car which screams: 'I'm a middle-class engineer whose having a mid-life crisis' is okay though.

8. Jan 22, 2006 #7
    Hey enigma, jan24-29 is the Washington auto show. I’m going down on Tuesday before the semester starts. You should head down there and shop around, and tell all the show girls, "do you come with the car?" It’s at the DC convention center, till 9p.m each night I believe, 700+ cars. Plus you can enter that contest where you have to hang onto the car for 1 week to win it. Then you might get a new car for FREE!

9. Jan 22, 2006 #8
    Do you want a small fun car or what?

What's your budget?

10. Jan 22, 2006 #9

Sebring .

11. Jan 22, 2006 #10
    I sware to you, the sebring is what all the old people drive in the Dc area. Old as in, retired.

12. Jan 22, 2006 #11
    Test drive all of them

BTW, have you thought of the Toyota Camry Solara? I'm not sure if you would want something smaller to have more fun though...

13. Jan 22, 2006 #12
    Toyota Camry Solara, lol. That too comes with a retirement pin.

14. Jan 22, 2006 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not get a little car, and pay some extra cash to get it supercharged/turbocharged?

If I had your money, I'd buy a Cavalier and drop the Grand Prix Supercharged 3.8L in there. If you do the internals right, and get the right modifications, you have it set at like 12-15 PSI for daily driving. That would easily make a Vette look like $#!+ for half the price or less.

15. Jan 22, 2006 #14
    Why not get a Pontiac GTO? :)

Out of your choices however, I would probably pick the Nissan...

16. Jan 22, 2006 #15
    But also, it would still just be a cavalier, and not a sexy vette...

"Why not get a Pontiac GTO? :)" ewwwwwwww, why not take the bus?

17. Jan 22, 2006 #16

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The GTO is a bit too expensive. Base $31K

I think I'm probably going to be able to swing ~$25K or so.

Again... I don't have a job _yet_, so we'll see how much I end up making.

(You hear me all you HR people who are sitting on my resume?!? Call me back!!! Please?)

18. Jan 22, 2006 #17
    Acura RSX might be a fun little car, a bit underpowered though...

Are you in debt at all right now?

19. Jan 22, 2006 #18
    If you want a fast sporty convertably have you considered these
    Lotus Elise
    or
    mazda MX5
    both fantastic cars to drive.

20. Jan 22, 2006 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I already made a thread like this :biggrin:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=77253

350z is a fast car, but the interior I found kinda crappy. The glove box is in the back and there is absolutely no space in the trunk: there is a roll-bar going right across from it. It's designed to fit a golf-club bag :rolleyes:

21. Jan 22, 2006 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The RX8 starts at about $26-something, I think. :!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?