1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Course selection for next semester

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    I got to choose 2 lessons from these 3 for optional courses. I'm studying mechanical engineering. Which ones are the most important in your opinion? Available options are:

1) Thermodynamics II

2) Material Science II

3) Technical drawing II with CAD software ( teaches Solidworks previous year we had Technical drawing I which tought about AutoCAD 2D sketches but I learned some 3D modelling out of courses in Autocad and and DesignModeler but cant claim that I can model complex thing. I'm much more like an amateur.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Technical drawing is very important for mechanical engineers. Many such jobs assume some basic familiarity with drafting. That said, if you feel like its something you can pick up on your own I would do the other two in a similar position. Alternatively, the material science and technical drawing courses would probably be the most applicable in the nearer term when entry level job hunting.

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Do you have a particular concentration within Mechanical in mind? 1) would be advised for one looking into thermofluids, 2) for one interested in materials, etc.. However, if you aren't sure of a concentration yet, 3) is almost certainly the most likely of the options to increase your chances at an internship, as many undergrad internships involve drafting CAD drawings -- something to think about!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook