Covariant derivative of a 1-form

In summary, we want to express the covariant derivative of a one-form in terms of local coordinates and Christoffel symbols, using the Levi-Civita connection. We do this by first defining two tangent vector fields and using the formula for covariant derivatives to compute the result, which should not depend on the partial derivatives of the vector fields. However, when trying to differentiate a covariant 2-tensor, the result may depend on the partial derivatives of the vector fields, which may be incorrect.
semigroups
Let $$f:U \to \mathbb{R}^3$$ be a surface with local coordinates $$f_i=\frac{\partial f}{\partial u^i}$$. Let $\omega$ be a one-form. I want to express $$\nabla \omega$$ in terms of local coordinates and Christoffel symboles. Where $$\nabla$$ is the Levi-Civita connection (thus it coincides with the covariant derivative).

Let $$X=X^if_i,Y=Y^if_i$$ be two tangent vector fields on $f$, by definition one has:
$$(\nabla_X \omega)(Y)=X^i \frac{\partial (\omega(Y))}{\partial u^i}-\omega (\nabla_XY)=X^i \frac{\partial (\omega(Y^if_i))}{\partial u^i}-\omega(\nabla_{X^if_i} Y^if_i)$$

I know $$\omega(\nabla_{X^if_i} Y^if_i)=\omega (X^i[Y^{j}(\nabla_{f_i}f_j)+Y^{j}_{,i}f_j])=\omega (X^i[Y^{j}(\Gamma^{k}_{ij}f_{k})+Y^{j}_{,i}f_j])=X^{i}Y^{j}\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \omega (f_k)+X^iY^i_{,i} \omega(f_j)$$

Now to compute $$\frac{\partial (\omega(Y^if_i))}{\partial u^i}=Y^{i}_{i} \omega (f_i)+Y^i \frac{\partial(\omega (f_i)))}{\partial u^i}$$.

Substitute them into the formula for $$\nabla_X \omega (Y)$$ to get a result dependent on the partial derivatives of $Y$ (after cancellations), but this should not be the case, where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The covariant derivative of a 1-form [itex]\omega[/itex] is a 1-form [itex]\nabla_X\omega[/itex]. And a 1-form (i.e. a field of covectors) eating a vector field Y does not depend on the partial derivatives of the components of Y:

[tex]\alpha(Y=\sum Y^if_i)=\sum Y^i\alpha(f_i)[/tex]

So why do you expect [itex]\nabla_X\omega (Y)[/itex] to behave differently? ;)

Thanks for pointing it out! My answer should be $$(\nabla_X \omega)(Y)=X^iY^j(\omega_{j,i}-\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \omega_k)$$

I'm now trying to differentiate a covariant 2-tensor (may not be a 2-form), namely $$(\nabla_{X}S)(Y,Z)=X^i \frac {\partial S(Y,Z)}{\partial u^i}-S(\nabla_{X}Y,Z)-S(Y,\nabla_{X}Z)$$

If denote S(f_i,f_j) to be S_{ij}, is it still valid to partial differentiate with respect to $$u^k$$: $$\frac{\partial S(f_i,f_j)} {\partial u^k}=S_{ij,k}$$?? If so, then the covariant derivative of a 2-tensor field will depend on the partial derivatives of the vector fields $$X,Y,Z$$ then?

Again, why would the result depend on derivatives of components of the vectors ? The vectors are merely <helping tools> to make things general.

Your approach is correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations.

Firstly, in the expression for $$\frac{\partial (\omega(Y^if_i))}{\partial u^i}$$, the index on $Y^i$ should be $j$, not $i$. This is because $Y^i$ is a function of $u^j$, so when taking the partial derivative with respect to $u^i$, the index should be $j$.

Secondly, in the expression for $$\omega(\nabla_{X^if_i} Y^if_i)$$, the index on $Y^i$ should be $j$, not $i$. This is because $Y^i$ is a function of $u^j$, so when plugging it into the covariant derivative, the index should be $j$.

Finally, in the last line, the index on $Y^i$ should be $k$, not $j$. This is because the index $j$ is already used in the expression for $$\omega(\nabla_{X^if_i} Y^if_i)$$.

After correcting these errors, you should get the correct expression for $$\nabla_X \omega (Y)$$ in terms of local coordinates and Christoffel symbols.

What is a covariant derivative of a 1-form?

A covariant derivative of a 1-form is a mathematical operation that describes how a vector field changes along a certain direction in a curved space. It is a generalization of the standard derivative in Euclidean space to curved spaces.

How is a covariant derivative of a 1-form calculated?

The covariant derivative of a 1-form is calculated using the Levi-Civita connection, which is a way to define parallel transport in a curved space. It involves taking the partial derivative of the 1-form with respect to each coordinate and then correcting for the curvature of the space.

What is the difference between a covariant derivative and a partial derivative?

A covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of the space, while a partial derivative does not. This means that a covariant derivative is a more general and applicable concept, as it can be used in both flat and curved spaces.

Why is the covariant derivative important in physics?

The covariant derivative is important in physics because it allows us to describe how physical quantities, such as vectors, change in a curved space. This is crucial in many areas of physics, including general relativity, where the concept of curved space is essential.

What are some real-world applications of the covariant derivative?

The covariant derivative has many applications in physics, including in general relativity, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in mathematics, particularly in the study of differential geometry and manifolds. Additionally, the concept of parallel transport, which is closely related to the covariant derivative, is used in navigation and geodesy.