Creating Matter from Photons: Proton-Antiproton Bias?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Peter 99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bias Matter Photons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Peter 99
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Given sufficient energy a proton/antiproton pair can be created from photons in the laboratory.

Does the (apparently) slight bias exhibited in the big bang apply to the laboratory? In other words, the universe is seemingly not made of antimatter, only "matter."

Pushing this idea further, is each galaxy creating protons at its center from photons where most pairs immediately annihilate but due to the bias some protons do not annihilate? Almost every galaxy has a relativistic jet. Are quasars giant proton factories?

Would the bias toward "matter" and against "antimatter" have survived the big bang?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone knows why there is a bias towards matter. There's nothing in the most current models of physics (that I know of) that provides an explanation.

As far as when this bias was created, or if it still exists, I again think very little is known, but if there is still a bias, then we should be able to detect it experimentally.

In fact I think there's at least talk of building a photon-photon collider to try and generate matter-antimatter pairs, and see this asymmetry first hand.
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v8/n6/full/nphoton.2014.95.html

It certainly would be a fascinating project, when someone does it.
 
Last edited by a moderator: