Crest Pro Health mouthwash causing brown tooth stains

  • Thread starter Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Health
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
moe darklight
Messages
409
Reaction score
0
http://consumerist.com/363684/crest-pro+health-mouthwash-i-woke-up-with-brown-spots-on-my-teeth"

SCARY stuff. I've googled the internet and this doesn't seem to be a joke. People everywhere are waking up with brown meth-addict teeth!

Scary thing is I just bought a bottle today and used it... so here's to me not waking up with brown spots on my teeth tomorrow morning

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS6VWC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So what's the deal here? I have trouble believing that a company will leave a product that stains people's teeth on the market for months like this. Does anyone here use it? Anyone have any trouble with it?

Should I throw away the bottle?

Should I jump out my window and run around screaming like a lunatic in my PJ's and wake up all the neighbors?

Basically I have to be up in 5 hours. 'nite (morning?).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
moe darklight said:
http://consumerist.com/363684/crest-pro+health-mouthwash-i-woke-up-with-brown-spots-on-my-teeth"

SCARY stuff. I've googled the internet and this doesn't seem to be a joke. People everywhere are waking up with brown meth-addict teeth!

Scary thing is I just bought a bottle today and used it... so here's to me not waking up with brown spots on my teeth tomorrow morning

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS6VWC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So what's the deal here? I have trouble believing that a company will leave a product that stains people's teeth on the market for months like this. Does anyone here use it? Anyone have any trouble with it?

Should I throw away the bottle?

Should I jump out my window and run around screaming like a lunatic in my PJ's and wake up all the neighbors?

Basically I have to be up in 5 hours. 'nite (morning?).
Ack! I wouldn't use that stuff. Maybe you should talk to the place you bought it from and let them know about this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I was at Target a few weeks ago, I considered trying that stuff out, but ended up going with the classic Listerine - I'm glad I did :smile:

edit... wow, the bad part is that the article was published in early March 2008, and it seems like nothing has gone on since then...
 
I notice there seems to be a number of comments about this on the net. And apparently some of it was brought to a head more recently as a result of a Today show from May 8.

Apparently the browning spots may be a result of cetylpyridinium chloride that is the active ingredient in the mouthwash.

Fwiw I did find this note from WebMD that claims the article was reviewed by dentists:
"Mouth rinses and washes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride can also stain teeth."
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tooth-discoloration

The anecdotal references to loss of taste for any period of time are noted by a couple of accounts, but I found little to support this outside the few accounts.
 
I used it daily for several months, with no side effects at all. My husband had the loss of taste, and quit using it.
 
I use the toothpaste, I don't like the taste, but I noticed my teeth are whiter.

But I've also broken my arm twice since I started using it! I'd be very careful!.
 
Crest Pro Health rinse definitely caused a problem for me. When I first checked the Crest website about a month ago the FAQ suggested using Crest whitening strips. :devil:

Now I can't even get the FAQ page to come up??

http://www.crest.com/crestrinses/index.jsp

A big problem I notice is that the space between the teeth is not being helped by the strips.
 
hm... maybe I'll go back to listerine/scope after all.

Evo said:
But I've also broken my arm twice since I started using it! I'd be very careful!.

:eek: this stuff is more dangerous than I thought!
 
Evo said:
I use the toothpaste, I don't like the taste, but I noticed my teeth are whiter.

But I've also broken my arm twice since I started using it! I'd be very careful!.

Evo, I wonder if Stannous Fluoride (0.454%) and Sodium Hexametaphosphate somehow promote osteoporosis...