What is the cryptic clue for the Higgs boson effect in a crossword?

• Thread starter PeroK
  • Start date
In summary, for those interested in physics and cryptic crosswords, the London Times book of crosswords offers a challenging puzzle involving the Higgs boson with the clue "Made a lot of the effect of the Higgs boson (4-8)". The solution, "mass-producer", is a compound clue with two definitions of the same phrase. Further discussion includes tips for solving cryptic crosswords and an additional clue for readers to try.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
For those interested in physics and cryptic crosswords, here's one for you (from the London Times book of crosswords):

Made a lot of the effect of the Higgs boson (4-8)

Physics news on Phys.org
two words, four and eight letters

cernparticle?

Mark44 said:
mass produced ...
I went for "mass-producer".

For those unfamiliar with the format, it's a compound clue, where two definitions of the same phrase are compounded.

"Made a lot of" refers to a "mass-producer" and the Higgs boson is a "mass-producer", in a sense.

The clue is not perfect as it's not totally clear whether "produced" or "producer" is intended.

Simply "Makes a lot of the Higgs boson" might have been better, for "mass-producer".

I only found "a lot" in the description a bit disturbing, that's why I thought "God made" might be a solution. But I think you and Mark are right.

fresh_42 said:
I only found "a lot" in the description a bit disturbing, that's why I thought "God made" might be a solution. But I think you and Mark are right.
One of the tricks to doing these crosswords is to learn not to think too literally. This is especially true for the harder ones, like the Times.

Here's one of mine, if you want to try:

A major and me provide central theme (7)

The first letter is "k", if that helps. Try to think laterally.

I had a nice solution, until 7 and k showed up. c would have worked. :frown:

fresh_42 said:
I had a nice solution, until 7 and k showed up. c would have worked. :frown:

Hint: think of all the different things that "A major" could be.

Yes, that's where I got my Cantate or the Eroica from, I apparently don't know enough English words with a k.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, that's where I got my Cantate or the Eroica from, I apparently don't know enough English words with a k.
"A major" is a "key" in music and "me" is a "note" in music, which gives "keynote", which is a central theme, although not musically!

I went a step too far and thought where E-flat major applies to instead of concentrating what E-flat major means, because it is less a keynote (local) as it is an overall condition (global). If all, I would have stuck with chord.

PeroK said:
One of the tricks to doing these crosswords is to learn not to think too literally.
Yes. I don't work the London Times puzzle, but I have been working the NY Times puzzle faithfully since about 1980. A key to being able to solve them is be open to alternate meanings and how else the phrase can be interpreted. The clue "A major" is a case in point.

PeroK said:
This is especially true for the harder ones, like the Times.
I don't know how the London Times works, but the NY Times puzzle is graduated in difficulty -- the easiest is on Monday, and they gradually get more difficult, with the hardest being on Fridays and Saturdays. The Sunday puzzle is a lot larger, but usually not that difficult. The harder puzzles sometimes include multiple letters per square, symbols, words spelled backwards or upside-down, and other trickeries.

1. What is a cryptic crossword clue?

A cryptic crossword clue is a type of puzzle that consists of a word or phrase to be solved, along with a cryptic clue that provides hints or wordplay for the solution. They are often found in newspapers and magazines and are popular among puzzle enthusiasts.

2. How do you solve a cryptic crossword clue?

Solving a cryptic crossword clue involves breaking down the clue into its different components, such as definition, wordplay, and any indicators. The definition is the part of the clue that gives the actual meaning of the solution, while the wordplay provides hints or instructions for manipulating the letters of the solution. Indicators are words or phrases that signal the type of wordplay being used. By understanding these components and using some deductive reasoning, the solution can be found.

3. Are there any tips for solving cryptic crossword clues?

Yes, there are some tips that can help in solving cryptic crossword clues. Some of these include looking for indicators, such as anagrams, hidden words, or reversals, identifying the definition and wordplay, and using a pen or pencil to write out the letters of the solution in different orders to see if they form a word or phrase. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common cryptic crossword clue types and techniques.

4. Are cryptic crossword clues only in English?

No, cryptic crossword clues can be found in different languages and in different countries. However, they may differ in format and style depending on the language and culture. Some countries may have their own unique types of cryptic crossword clues, such as the "Double Definition" style in Australia and New Zealand.

5. Can I create my own cryptic crossword clue?

Yes, anyone can create their own cryptic crossword clue. It takes practice and familiarity with the different types and techniques, but it can be a fun and challenging activity. There are also online resources and forums where people share and discuss their own cryptic crossword clues and solutions.