Current FEA software/Comparison to Ansys

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineer from Australia who is currently seeking alternative FEA software to Ansys as their license has expired and cannot perform large deflection analyses due to only having an EMAG license. They are specifically looking for a software that can handle large deformation, non-linear material effects, stamping simulations, pressurized enclosure explosions, and composite material failure. They have researched and found that LS Dyna is a suitable option, but are open to other user-friendly alternatives such as WelSim.
khonfahm
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I am located in Australia working as a mechanical engineer. Our Ansys License has expired (Technical support no longer available- Product purchased outright), and for some reason it doesn't allow the setting of 'large deflections' to be turned on (I'm quite sure this is because we have only the EMAG(electromagnetic) licence).

So it is for this reason I am currently investigating alternative FEA software to Ansys. Or I may renew our Ansys License, depending on what is the best solution.
Here are my required criteria:

• For doing a large deformation sort of analysis where non linear material effects come into play; stamping simulations
  • Simulating a large explosion in a pressurised enclosure to see when the shell fails
  • Simulating composite materials and their failure limit
  • From what I have searched LS Dyna Seems like the best solver for my needs. It also seems to work directly from Ansys Workbench, which definitely is nice too.

Are there any other alternatives that are as user friendly that are worth investigating?

Thank you all in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you ever try WelSim? A user-friendly FEA package that is immediately available at https://welsim.com.

overview_welsim.png

Attachments

• overview_welsim.png
    overview_welsim.png
    58 KB · Views: 499

What is finite element analysis (FEA) software?

FEA software is a computer program that uses the finite element method to analyze and solve complex engineering problems. It is commonly used in fields such as structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering.

How does FEA software compare to Ansys?

Ansys is one of the most popular FEA software packages available. It offers a wide range of analysis capabilities, such as structural, thermal, and fluid analysis. However, there are other FEA software options available that may better suit certain applications or have different features.

What are the benefits of using FEA software?

FEA software allows engineers to simulate and analyze the behavior of a design under various conditions, without the need for physical prototypes. This can save time and money in the design process and help identify potential issues early on.

What are the limitations of FEA software?

FEA software relies on accurate inputs and assumptions, so it is important for the user to have a good understanding of the underlying physics and engineering principles. Additionally, the results of FEA analysis should always be verified through physical testing.

What are some popular FEA software options besides Ansys?

Other popular FEA software options include Abaqus, Nastran, SolidWorks Simulation, and COMSOL Multiphysics. Each of these software packages offers unique features and capabilities, so it's important to research and choose the one that best fits your specific needs.