Currently available free online graded/interactive courses

• Courses
  • Thread starter ad infinitum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the author is looking to get back into the groove of education following a long absence due to health reasons, and they are looking for advice on self-study methods. He suggests looking into NPTEL, Khan Academy, and Mathispower4u.com. However, he is open to self-study certificates if needed.
ad infinitum
I am looking to get back into the groove of education following a long absence due to health reasons. The subjects that I am interested in studying at this time are mathematics (both pure and applied), physics, or computer science all at either the freshman or sophomore university level. I am hoping to have a sort of dry run before returning to school on a full-time or even just part-time basis. While self-studying is something that I believe I may be capable of; at this point my goal is just to flex my mental muscles and experience the structure of assignment deadlines and evaluations. Ideally these course(s) would cover similar material as conventional courses, have assignments graded by teachers, and provide the opportunity for students to ask questions of professors or tutors as well as for students to discuss the material among themselves.

I realize that I probably won't be able to get everything I am asking for, so I would just like the members to try and give me the closest thing. Some degree of grading and communication is a must, but I am more willing to bend on the specific subject matter or the precise method of evaluation(by professor/TA/volunteer/computer). I have tried to search the internet and physicsforums.com for something presently like this but have been unsuccessful; only finding references to programs at Stanford and MIT in news articles and forum posts circu 2012. The small handful of ongoing courses that I have been able to locate are much too far out of my desired topic area or have already ended their operation. If necessary I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee. If there is anything currently out there like this, I would greatly appreciate you helping me find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out Khan Academy courses. They should help get you back in the groove.

Also check out Mathispower4u.com where there are over 5000 videos on math from 9th grade to 1st-year college ie Calc 1,2,3 Linear Algebra, Diff Equations, and Statistics.

There's also Coursera and MIT OpenCourseWare.

https://www.coursera.org/

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Lastly, there the Rice University site with free textbooks.

https://openstax.org/

I think you will have to discipline yourself and self-study leaving no stone unturned as you read and do the problem sets.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Check out NPTEL. It's the place from where I have learned most of the topics I know till date. Go to the search page, search for the course you want, an you'll get a list.

But here you can't get certificates. If you want to learn without an certificate, you can check out this site.

Likes jedishrfu
Regarding computer science, how much do you know already? Do you know about OOP? Databases?

verty said:
Regarding computer science, how much do you know already? Do you know about OOP? Databases?
Unfortunately just high-school programming plus bits and pieces picked up online when I needed it to do something that interested me. So yeah.

jedishrfu said:
This looks to be the type of thing I was looking for. The course selections as far as pure math content seem to be limited to non-existent, but as I said, I'm flexible on that. Besides I hope to learn it all eventually any way, ha ha.

Wrichik Basu said:
But here you can't get certificates. If you want to learn without an certificate, you can check out this site.

I'm fine with that. It's more about the experience. And probably not of much use anyway.

ad infinitum said:
I'm fine with that. It's more about the experience. And probably not of much use anyway.
Then you should look up NPTEL. The lectures are truly great.

I was going to say, computer science folks have to do a lot of learning by themselves throughout their careers. So if you want to learn some of that, you might as well start now. So my advice is to choose a language that you want to learn in depth. PHP is a good choice because it isn't OOP-heavy like some other languages, it has good Regex support and the documentation is very good. You would need to run Linux and set up a web server but that is another thing you can learn to do.

1. Learn Linux. I learned it by reading the man pages for NetBSD and then moving on to Gentoo. But use whatever method you like.
2. Get PHP running, use the documentation and write some software.
3. Get a database running that PHP can access. Write a simple database application.

That's it for now. If you do study CS, this knowledge will help in your studies.

PS. I'm not here to teach anyone and that's not what I'm trying to do, I'm just helping someone onto the ladder of learning that they will inevitably have to follow.

What are currently available free online graded/interactive courses?

Currently available free online graded/interactive courses refer to any courses that are offered online and have interactive elements such as quizzes, assignments, or discussions, and are graded or have a completion certificate available at the end of the course.

What subjects are typically offered in these courses?

There is a wide range of subjects available in free online graded/interactive courses. Some popular ones include computer science, data analytics, business, languages, and personal development.

Are these courses accredited or recognized by institutions?

It depends on the course. Some free online graded/interactive courses may be accredited or recognized by institutions, while others may not be. It is important to do research on the course and the institution offering it to determine its credibility.

Who can enroll in these courses?

Anyone can enroll in free online graded/interactive courses. They are open to all individuals regardless of age, education level, or location. However, some courses may have prerequisites or recommended knowledge for optimal learning.

How can these courses benefit me as a student?

These courses can offer a flexible and convenient way to learn new skills or improve existing ones. They also provide opportunities for self-paced learning and can be a cost-effective alternative to traditional education. Additionally, completing these courses can enhance your resume and showcase your commitment to continuous learning.