Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curved Dirac equation, Spin connection

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    [itex](1,a^2,a^2,a^2)[/itex]) from the action; [itex] \mathcal{S}_{D}[\phi,\psi,e^{\alpha}_{\mu}] = \int d^4 x \det(e^{\alpha}_{\mu}) \left[ \mathcal{L}_{KG} + i\bar{\psi}\bar{\gamma}^{\mu}D_{\mu}\psi - (m_{\psi} + g\phi)\bar{\psi}\psi \right]
    [/itex] I can show that, [itex]i\bar{\gamma}^{\mu}D_{\mu}\psi - (m_{\psi}+g\phi)\psi =0 [/itex] by varying the action. I know that [itex]D_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}+\frac{1}{4}\gamma_{\alpha\beta}\omega^{\alpha\beta}_{\mu}[/itex] and I know how to relate [itex]\bar{\gamma}^{\mu}[/itex]to the flat space-time gamma matrices [itex]\gamma[/itex], I am just stuck trying to prove that [itex]\frac{1}{4}\gamma_{\alpha\beta}\omega^{\alpha\beta}_{\mu}=\frac{3}{2}\frac{\dot{a}}{a}[/itex] I think this term is equal to [itex] \frac{1}{4}\left( \gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\beta} - \gamma^{\beta}\gamma^{\alpha}\right) \left( e_{\alpha}^{\nu}(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}})e_{\beta\nu}+e_{\alpha\nu}e_{\beta}^{\sigma}\Gamma^{\nu}_{\sigma \mu}\right)[/itex] but if it is I can't get the above result, can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a repost of the question you asked in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4316692#post4316692. You are still somehow under the impression that a matrix should equal a scalar. You also seem to want people to do algebra for you, since you haven't bothered to show that you've done any additional work on the calculation since I tried to help you.

Please tell us what result you get when you try to compute

$$\frac{1}{4}\left( \gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\beta} - \gamma^{\beta}\gamma^{\alpha}\right) \left( e_{\alpha}^{\nu}(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}})e_{\beta\nu}+e_{\alpha\nu}e_{\beta}^{\sigma}\Gamma^{\nu}_{\sigma \mu}\right).$$

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3
    I didn't wamt to post a long answer but here goes,

So [itex]\Gamma^{0}_{ij}=\dot{a}a[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma^{i}_{0j}=\frac{\dot{a}}{a}[/itex]
    [itex]e^{\nu}_{\alpha}=(1,1/a,1/a,1/a)[/itex]
    [itex]e_{\beta\nu}=(1,a,a,a)[/itex]
    When [itex]\alpha[/itex] or [itex]\beta[/itex] equals zero then [itex]\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\rho}-\gamma^{\rho}\gamma^{0}=0[/itex] so this isn't allowed.

If [itex]\alpha=\beta[/itex] then the gamma matrices also go to zero, so [itex]\alpha \neq \beta [/itex] to contribute.
    So if [itex]\nu\neq\alpha[/itex]or[itex]\beta[/itex] the [itex]e^{\nu}_{\alpha} [/itex]or [itex]e_{\beta\nu}[/itex] will equal zero or so this term can immediately be discarded as it will always equal zero since [itex]\alpha \neq \beta [/itex]. [itex]\Gamma^{\nu}_{\sigma\mu}[/itex] will only be non zero if [itex]\nu=0[/itex] but then [itex]\alpha=0[/itex] so this is not possible or [itex]\sigma =0[/itex] and [itex]\nu=\mu[/itex] but then [itex]\beta[/itex] is zero so this isn't possible. Thus ther eis no contribution to the component obviusly wrong. Since the tetrads are added together can they be relabelled so: [itex]( e_{\alpha}^{\nu}(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}})e_{\beta\nu}+e_{\alpha\nu}e_{\beta}^{\sigma}\Gamma^{\nu}_{\sigma\mu}) [/itex] otherwise I can't see why this would be nonzero, unless maybe i have made a mistake with the gamma matrices

5. Mar 23, 2013 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not true. For example, in the Dirac basis

$$\gamma^0 = \begin{pmatrix} I & 0 \\ 0 & -I \end{pmatrix} ,~~~~\gamma^i \begin{pmatrix} 0 & \sigma^i \\ -\sigma^i & 0 \end{pmatrix},$$

you find

$$[\gamma^0,\gamma^i] = -2 \begin{pmatrix} \sigma^i & 0 \\ 0 & \sigma^i \end{pmatrix}.$$

I think that the ##{\Gamma^0}_{ij}## term is the only one that contributes, but you should check. I agree that this is fairly tricky to sort out.

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5
    Am I correct in thinking that the beta's and alpha's are linked?

7. Mar 23, 2013 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They do not have to be equal. For example, ##e_{00} {e_1}^1 {\Gamma^0}_{11}## seems to be a non-vanishing contribution to the spin connection.

8. Mar 23, 2013 #7
    I have almost cracked it, I think it should be should there also be
    [itex] \frac{1}{8}( \gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\beta} - \gamma^{\beta}\gamma^{\alpha}) ( e_{\alpha}^{\nu}(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}})e_{\beta\nu}+e_{\alpha\nu}e_{\beta}^{\sigma}\Gamma^{\nu}_{\sigma\mu})[/itex]

The trouble is I get [itex]-\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{a}[\gamma^{1}\begin{pmatrix} \sigma^{1} & 0\\ 0&\sigma^{1}
    \end{pmatrix}+\gamma^{2}\begin{pmatrix} \sigma^{2} & 0\\ 0&\sigma^{2}
    \end{pmatrix}+\gamma^{3}\begin{pmatrix} \sigma^{3} & 0\\ 0&\sigma^{3}
    \end{pmatrix}](a\frac{\dot{a}}{a}) [/itex] (and another identical version for beta = 0.

Which when combined gives [itex]\frac{3}{2}(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}) [/itex] It is very close to the expected result of [itex]\frac{3}{2}[\gamma^{0}](\frac{\dot{a}}{a}) [/itex] but I can't see any obvius mistake, The only way to get a [itex] \gamma^0[/itex] term present is by choosing [itex]\mu=0[\itex] but that isn't allowed because then whole term would equal zero anyway? Can you think of my mistake or how to get this gamma zero term?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook