Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclotomic polynomials and primitive roots of unity

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    w_{n} is primitive root of unity of order n, w_{m} is primitive root of unity of order m,
    all primitve roots of unity of order n are roots of Cyclotomic polynomials
    phi_{n}(x) which is a minimal polynomial of all primitive roots of unity of order n ,
    similarly, phi_{m}(y) is a minimal polynomial of all primitive roots of unity of order m ,
    then, what is the minimal polynomial of (W_{n},w_{m}), if exists or no????

Thank you very much!! what book I can find some subject about primitve roots of unity.:wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

are you asking for the minimal polynomial of a product of two roots of 1?

or of the field they generate together?

and I presume you are working over the rationals Q, since yiou assume the cyclotomic polynomials are irreducible.

i like van der waerden's old modern algebra, for a basic introduction. probably Gauss's disquisitiones is one of the best sources, but most number theoiry and abstract algebra books will say something, like hungerford, dummit - foote, michael artin, jacobson.

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    I want to know the minimal polynomial of the field they generate together?

Thank you !!!:wink:

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

have you tried an example? for instance suppose z is a primitive complex 6th root of unity and w is a primitive complex 15th root of unity. then together they belong to the group of lets see 30th roots of unity. If you take say z^3, you get hmmmm -1 i suppose. anyway, it looks as if -w is a primitive 30th root of unity. is that right? then -w^5 sems like a primitive 6 th root of unity, and w a primitive 15th root.

so it seems that together they generate the same field as w does alone.

try another one, like 18th root and 12th root. what happens?

6. Dec 10, 2006 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

by the way there is no such thing as"the minimal polynomial of a field", you need to choose a generating element first, but here you can always choose it to be another primitive root of unity, perhaps of roder the lcm of the two orders you start with?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?