Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrically symmetric plasmas and models for.

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Hi,

I have currently been thinking about laser-plasma interaction and I have a simple model in mind. I am going to look for a cylindrically symmetric solution of a cylindrically symmetric laser beam (of radius R) hits a initially charge neutral plasma creating an electron beam in the plasma. For the electron beam I am also going to assume that there is only one component of the magnetic field B_theta and 2 components for the electric field, E_r and E_z. I think this will be the most simple model I can write down whilst giving some information about the 2D case (the 1D case has been completed).

Once more assumption which I am not too sure will hold or not (but I think it will) is that the electron beam in the plasma will begin to spread out radially but my assumption will be that it doesn't spread out much and therefore, i can use that idea to reduce the complexity and allow me to linearize the equations, decouple them and solve them.

I have my working in the attached PDF document in section 2 - Perturbation idea.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted