Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Da Vinci Days

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    Tsu, Ivan, did you make it to any of the festival...It's a shame we couldn't meet...

OmCheeto, it was very nice to meet you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was looking for you and/or Om Cheeto. I was at the FIRST robotics demo from 1 to 4:30.

Didn't see either of you.

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3
    At 4:30 I would have been at American Dream eating pizza, IIRC...

5. Jul 21, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Presumably mentors recognise each other from the glowing aura and confirm it with the secret physicsforums handshake.
    For the rest of us - are there any plans for T shirts?

6. Jul 21, 2008 #5
    Bring back the hat!

[​IMG]

7. Jul 21, 2008 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

Ivan had to work all weekend and I was enjoying a giant knot in my RIGHT butt cheek. :eek: (if I over-work the only leg I have left to stand on, my muscles start to object by tying themselves in knots) It was delightful. :rolleyes:

I certainly would have liked to go. I enjoy DaVinci Days. Next year I'm going to both the OCF AND DaVinci Days. So lets all make plans early and get those hats and t-shirts back! (someone will have to start bugging Greg...hint hint) :biggrin: Actually, isn't there an online t-shirt making service? You design your own shirt... Yeah, I'm sure they do. Maybe I'll check that out later. I have lots to do online today.

8. Jul 21, 2008 #7
    Yeah..

It actually worked pretty well, whay Om and I had planned...Funny cause I'd never done this sort of thing before, so hearing my screenname was weird...

9. Jul 22, 2008 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Well, I'd say it was much weirder chasing someone up a gravel road only because I thought I knew what a Pyranha looked like!

[​IMG]

It wasn't until I saw a Saab with a trailer hitch that I knew it was actually you!

It was good to meet you, your dad and your uncle.

My friend and I had a pretty good time, in spite of the fact that we had not a clue where anything was. My printer was on the fritz and all the maps I printed were almost unreadable.

Some of those vehicles yesterday were quite creative.

[​IMG]

I should have asked you where the robotics demo was being held, as I was supposed to meet Integral and his robot. Your dad mentioning that his cataraft will hold a 100 qt cooler probably distracted me, and I forgot.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I took more pictures in the 6 hours at da Vinci Days than my whole weekend at Country Fair.

Anyways, yes. We should all attend both events next year.

and Tsu! Fix that hip and stop tying your inner body parts in knots. That's Evo's job.

10. Jul 22, 2008 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The FIRST robotics demo was just outside the main DaVinci Days entrance, so you did not have to cough up $10 to watch. We were also located at the very end of the Kinetic Sculpture route. I got to see several of them coming in.

I really liked the Calistoga dragon and the cop car. I had to check out the cop car closer as it looked like a car... How did they float a car down the river? It is actually a fiber glass body with foam pontoons, not sure where they are in the pic though. Inside are 4 sling seats and bike pedals. Oh yeah all Kinetic Sculptures are human powered.

It took Ivan, Tsu, and I a bit to get used to real world names vs screen names, now we switch back and forth at random.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  11. Jul 22, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's always the oddest part of meeting someone from online for the first time, or even calling them. I feel strange calling someone and saying, "Hi, it's Moonbear," but I figure they might be confused if I introduce myself by my real name the first time. At least when I met Greg and Russ, they use their real names online, so it wasn't so weird. At the last PF gathering, we had to go around and introduce ourselves to Greg by both real life and online names so he could put them together. :rofl:

12. Jul 22, 2008 #11
    Wait, so Integral, you met up with Tsu and Ivan? Dammit!

Ha ha Om, lol...thats a uh...revealing picture...ha ha...That guy wasn't actually my uncle, he was the local Saab nut, who is a good friend of my father's...

13. Jul 23, 2008 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan and Tsu have become quite good friends, we get togather with reqularity.

Speaking of which, Ivan and Tsu, you need to come over for a visit, we have made some subtle changes to the house... see if you can pick them out.

14. Jul 23, 2008 #13
    Next year...next year, Integral, Tsu, and Ivan, we will meetup...

15. Jul 29, 2008 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.gazettetimes.com/

About 1/3 way down on the right is a pane with videos, click on the Popular tab and play the "masters of mud" video.

16. Jul 29, 2008 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing like good, clean fun!

17. Jul 29, 2008 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member

It was so dreadfully hot. And such a slow race. I think I'll go all three days next year. With my own mud bogging, floating vehicle of course. :rolleyes:

18. Jul 30, 2008 #17

Tsu

Gold Member

Save me a seat! :biggrin:

19. Jul 30, 2008 #18
    Well I just made it home.

Next year, whether or not you (Tsu and Ivan) make it to da Vinci days or OCF, assuming we make the pilgrimage, I should like to meet you.

20. Jul 30, 2008 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member

If I survive Flugtag without breaking a hip I will. And I'm just watching.

21. Jul 31, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, maybe we can meet next year. Not only was Tsu down with her broken parts, I have also been slaughtered with work. I had hoped that I might be able to run over to da Vinci Days, but it just wasn't possible. In any event, I'm glad that you all had a good time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?