1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damage to chimney by power line attache to it

  1. Feb 18, 2016 #1
    hello :)
    I am desperately seeking help for my problem: during reper of electrical mast, service crew attached main power line to my chimney. ( Chimney was add to house structure some time after house was build. More than 25 years ago).
    Repair was a day long project. It required main power line to be disconnected from electrical meter for time being. Although I mention to crew about my concerns re chimney ( not sure how strong it is and how it was build) they decided to tided power line ( triple lumen N95) with rope to my chimney from a roof. It was like that for about 4 hrs. Imagine my shock when few days after I walked throu backyard and saw a big crack separating chimney from house.
    Contacted company but they refuse to acknowledge any responsibilities.
    How I can proof that their action was very unsafe and dengerous?

    All troublesome element were present: old and unknown structure of chimney, harsh weather over years in Canada, Ontario , clay ground , long time of attachment (about 4hrs), weight of power line by itself, uncle under what it was hanging from ( between chimney and power line post) height of chimney and probably few more that I can't find myself.( weather ??? - Wind ,barometric pressure temp. . It was hot and humid day - July 20,2014 . .???)


    If someone is awere of any physical formulas or rules that can be useful or any other ideas PLESE kindly let me know.

    Thanfull for all suggestions -from a bottom of my heart - Krystyna .

    P.S. I have pics to show,but don't know how to attach to this msg.
    I could email them latter if needed. image.jpeg image.jpeg

    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2016 #2
    P..S.2 I was able to figure it out and attache few images. :)
  4. Feb 19, 2016 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Contact your house insurance company. Explain what happened to them.

    If no insurance you may have to decide if you can afford a surveyor prepared to write a letter to the company for you. Perhaps speak to a no win no fee lawyer?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  5. Feb 19, 2016 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    I'm sorry, but we can't offer legal advice. It is best for you to seek professional help in your area. As CWatters suggested, contact your house insurance company or lawyer. A building inspector is another option.

    Thread closed.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook