1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Daniell Cells - Effect of conditions

1. May 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing a chemistry extended experimental investigation on the variables affecting a Daniell Cell's voltage. I am required to understand the reasoning behind voltage increase and decrease for particular conditions. I have done extensive research, but am unable to find a decent explanation that does not go into too much physics and complexity. Please keep in mind that this is a CHEMISTRY investigation.

I would like to know why temperature increase in solutions causes a slight voltage increase (at least initially), also why the concentrations of the solutions would affect voltage. For example, increasing Cu2+ at the site of reduction and reducing Zn2+ at the site of oxidation would (I believe) increase voltage.

Please if possible, give me some sort of an analogy or way of visualizing what exactly is going on. I appreciate this very much!

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

The further system is from equilbrium, the stronger are forces that push it into equilibrium position.

4. May 23, 2009 #3
    Thanks! That helps with the concentration part of things, but how about temperature? Is temperature a product of the reaction? How would increasing the temperature of both solutions cause the reaction to shift further from equilibrium?

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  5. May 24, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Temperature is not a product of the reaction, heat can be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook