Database Error Occurring Frequently - Are You Experiencing It Too?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: the feeds for the front page, the newsfeed, and the forums all have errors in them.I upgraded php about a month ago too. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?I upgraded php about a month ago too. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?yeah ever since I upgraded php (which was a month ago) some of our rss feeds have gotten a bit screwed up. the feeds for the front page, the newsfeed, and the forums all have errors in them.I upgraded php about a month ago too. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?I have tried clearing my cache and cookies, but the errors still persist. Has anyone had any luck finding a
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Lately, when I try to open a thread, I get a database error about 10% of the time (sometimes more often). Looks like this -

20uqu4i.jpg

Seems to happen more and more frequently. Are others getting this as often as I am?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get sporadic errors. We'll look into it.

I'm getting database error 100% of the time when I try to edit this specific post. It doesn't matter much that I can't. I just wanted to remove the "Hm, that sounds like a lot" comment and end the sentence before it with a period. I can preview the edit just fine, but I can't save it. I have tried several times, and made other posts without problems between the attempts.

As I said, this isn't an important edit. I'm just posting this to let the admins know about this problem, in case they find it useful when investigating other situations where someone gets "database error".

Fredrik said:
I'm getting database error 100% of the time when I try to edit this specific post. It doesn't matter much that I can't. I just wanted to remove the "Hm, that sounds like a lot" comment and end the sentence before it with a period. I can preview the edit just fine, but I can't save it. I have tried several times, and made other posts without problems between the attempts.

As I said, this isn't an important edit. I'm just posting this to let the admins know about this problem, in case they find it useful when investigating other situations where someone gets "database error".

How bizarre, I get the same error when editing that post too, but every other post in that thread is fine!

I see database errors now and then too, but not as often - say once in every two, three days.

I updated mysql last night. I hope that helps the situation. Keep me updated. thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I updated mysql last night. I hope that helps the situation. Keep me updated. thanks!
Oh - that's what happened. :biggrin:

I figured someone trip over the cord, or forgot to feed the squirrels.

OK, who tripped over the power cord and unplugged PF?

Zz.

There's a 5-hr gap between T 10:27 AM and T 03:33 PM, when PF crashed.

Have it crashed after MySQL update, or for some other reason?

Borek said:
Have it crashed after MySQL update, or for some other reason?

different reason

There is some problem with opening threads from the search. I get all the time the following messageQ

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /showthread.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=241386&highlight=Wave%96particle+duality

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=406161&highlight=Wave%96particle+duality

But I can open them through the links without the &highlight=Wave%96particle+duality part...

%96 is a source of problems, how did it get there?

Borek said:
%96 is a source of problems, how did it get there?

Right. Take out %96, replace it with a +, and it works ok.

Not sure if this is the same issue, so I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread. But I get this often, at the very top of the page (above the title):

Warning: unlink(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-blog_external.php.cache) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 187

It started about a month or so ago, and I think it's getting more frequent. Doesn't seem to affect functionality, though.

lisab said:
Not sure if this is the same issue, so I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread. But I get this often, at the very top of the page (above the title):

Warning: unlink(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-blog_external.php.cache) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 187

It started about a month or so ago, and I think it's getting more frequent. Doesn't seem to affect functionality, though.

yeah ever since I upgraded php (which was a month ago) some of our rss feeds have gotten a bit screwed up.

Related to Database Error Occurring Frequently - Are You Experiencing It Too?

What is a database error and why does it occur frequently?

A database error occurs when there is an issue with the database, such as incorrect data, corrupted files, or server issues. It can occur frequently if there are problems with the database structure or if the server is experiencing high traffic.

How can a database error affect my work?

A database error can affect your work by preventing you from accessing or updating important data. This can lead to delays in projects and impact the overall efficiency of your work.

What can cause a database error to occur frequently?

There are several factors that can contribute to a database error occurring frequently, such as incorrect database configuration, faulty hardware, or issues with the server or network.

How can I prevent database errors from occurring frequently?

To prevent database errors, it is important to regularly backup your database and perform routine maintenance to identify and fix any potential issues. It is also crucial to ensure proper data entry and regularly check for any updates or changes to the database structure.

What should I do if I am experiencing frequent database errors?

If you are experiencing frequent database errors, it is important to first identify the root cause of the issue. This may involve checking for any server or network issues, reviewing the database structure, or consulting with a database expert to troubleshoot the problem.