DC conduction equation in Matlab

In summary, the conversation is about solving a 1D time-dependent equation for V and ρ using the MATLAB pdepe solver. The unknown term is V and the space charge distribution ρ(t,r) is unknown. The equation being solved is 1/r * ∂/∂r [r*σ* ∂V/∂r]=∂ρ/∂t. The issue is that the coefficient "C" cannot be made zero in the pdepe solver. The solution is either to find a MATLAB PDE solver for 1/r * ∂/∂r [r*σ* ∂V/∂r]=0 or to find a way to make "C" zero
Mattw
Hello

I am solving DC conduction equation in Matlab. My equation is 1/r * ∂/∂r [r*σ* ∂V/∂r]=∂ρ/∂t
My equation is 1D(only varies with radius) and time dependent. i am using pdepe solver.The space charge ( ρ) is the time dependent variable. But the form of MATLAB pdepe solver the time dependent is the unknown term V. Can alyone help me how to solve this equation with pdepe or other solvers.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Good Morning Mattw,

So, a few questions:

Your unknown is [itex]V\left(t,r\right )[/itex]?
[itex]\rho \left (t,r\right)[/itex] is known for all [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]?

J.

Hi jfgobin

the space charge distribution ρ(t,r) is unknown.

Mattw, so you are trying to solve for both [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex].

What is your second equation?

Or is is just Maxwell's?

Hi jfgobin

ρ(t,r) is just the continuti equation from Maxwell's.

I am solving this equation with matlab, and i am using pdepe solver. at the beginning if i assume my problem is in steady state then i can make ∂ρ/∂t zero. But the problem is i can't make "C"( coefficient of the time dependent term) zero in pdepe solve. Do you have any idea if there is MATLAB PDE solver for 1/r * ∂/∂r [r*σ* ∂V/∂r]=0 OR how to make "c" zero in pdepe solver?

Thanks

1. What is the DC conduction equation in Matlab?

The DC conduction equation in Matlab is a mathematical representation of how electrical current flows through a direct current (DC) circuit. It takes into account the resistance, voltage, and current in the circuit to calculate the flow of electricity.

2. How do I implement the DC conduction equation in Matlab?

To implement the DC conduction equation in Matlab, you can use the basic formula: V = I x R, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. You can also use built-in functions such as Ohm's law (ohm), voltage divider rule (voltageDivider), and current divider rule (currentDivider).

3. What are the variables in the DC conduction equation in Matlab?

The variables in the DC conduction equation in Matlab are voltage (V), current (I), and resistance (R). These are the basic parameters that determine the flow of electricity in a DC circuit. Other variables may be introduced depending on the complexity of the circuit.

4. Can I plot the DC conduction equation in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot the DC conduction equation in Matlab by using the "plot" function. You will need to define a range of values for the independent variable (e.g. voltage or current) and use the equation to calculate the corresponding values for the dependent variable (e.g. current or voltage).

5. How accurate is the DC conduction equation in Matlab?

The accuracy of the DC conduction equation in Matlab depends on the accuracy of the input parameters (e.g. resistance, voltage, current) and the complexity of the circuit. It is a simplified model and may not account for all factors in a real-world circuit. It is always recommended to double-check the results with actual measurements.