Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie equation and black holes

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    Does this apply to a black hole? What would be the consequences of it? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2
    I assume you are talking about the De Broglie wavelength describing the wave-like nature of any object.

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p} = \frac {h}{\gamma mv} = \frac {h}{mv} \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

The is a Quantum Mechanical description. Yes it applies to black holes, yet in practice the wavelength is so small as to be pointless. Note that the wavelength and frequency is defined as probability waves. Getting into interpretations is probably too problematic here. The consequences is that if you had a few trillion trillion times longer than the life of the Universe you could get black holes produce an interference pattern in a double slit experiment. Not a consequence worth thinking much about.
  4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Ok, we will try it here: Gh/CC is the Universal flow constant, so what does that say about black holes?
  5. Mar 21, 2009 #4
    ok sammy, for me it means that space-time is flowing and it accelerates due to black holes presence. What do you think about that ?
  6. Mar 21, 2009 #5
    I do not think that space-time flows, rather photons and other matter flow in space-time. If E=hn does -E=-hn ie. dE=hdn? For a black hole we can use Albert's photo-electric effect but reverse it (Sammy's electro-photic effect) and use anti-matter, then we should get photons going backwards in time ie. going back to the source and let the source be the black hole. This is a linear model like simple relativity, but we could also use GR for a gravitational model.
  7. Mar 23, 2009 #6
    Gh/CC is the space/time constant; the units: dxdydz/dt; this is the first derivative of space with respect to time and it is constant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?