Dealing with two circuits connected by adjacent inductors

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with three resistors and two inductors. The main question is how to incorporate the third resistor on the right into the typical RL circuit equations. The solution requires knowing the coupling coefficient between the inductors.
D Nguyen

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
upload_2017-4-14_10-54-22.png

Homework Equations

Typical RL circuit equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question with this problem is figuring out what to do with the third resistor, the one on the right. Initially, I thought of using RL circuit equations with the left circuit, but I don't know how to adjust that solution for the rightmost resistor. Please help me move past this step, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
D Nguyen said:

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
View attachment 194710

Homework Equations

Typical RL circuit equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question with this problem is figuring out what to do with the third resistor, the one on the right. Initially, I thought of using RL circuit equations with the left circuit, but I don't know how to adjust that solution for the rightmost resistor. Please help me move past this step, thank you!
Is the coupling coefficient between the two inductors given or inferred somehow? You need to know the coupling coefficient in order to solve this problem, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_coupling

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop through which an electrical current can flow. It usually consists of a power source, conductors, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coiled wire and has the ability to resist changes in current flow.

How are two circuits connected by adjacent inductors?

Two circuits can be connected by adjacent inductors when the inductors have a common magnetic field and are placed in close proximity to each other. This allows for the transfer of energy from one circuit to the other.

What challenges can arise when dealing with two circuits connected by adjacent inductors?

One challenge that can arise is the potential for mutual inductance, where the changing magnetic field of one inductor induces a current in the other inductor. This can lead to unwanted signal interference and can affect the performance of both circuits.

How can the effects of mutual inductance be minimized?

The effects of mutual inductance can be minimized by using techniques such as shielding, which involves placing a conductive material between the inductors to reduce the magnetic field. Other techniques include proper placement of the inductors and using components such as capacitors to counteract the effects of mutual inductance.