Decomposition of cooper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate.

In summary, the conversation revolved around a lab experiment where 5g of Cu2CO3(OH)2 was added to a bunsen burner, resulting in a black product weighing 3.327g with a mass ratio of 0.67/1.0. The question posed was whether the remaining black compound was anhydrous copper carbonate hydroxide molecule and the equation for its decomposition. The suggested solution involved calculating the purity of the starting material and using it to find the expected mass of the product, comparing it to the data given in the problem to determine the correct equation.
zimbob

Homework Statement

Lab Experiment:
I added 5g of Cu2CO3(OH)2 in a bunsen burner and the resultant was a black product weighing 3.327g, representing a mass ratio of 0.67/1.0

Homework Equations

The question is whether the remaining black compound is anhydrous copper carbonate hydroxide molecule (Cu2CO3(OH)2 whose molecular weight is 221.116g/mol while that of water is 18.015 g/mol.

What would be the equation for the decomposition of copper carbonate hydroxide hydrate ( I will try to balance it myself).

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe its CuO but how can show that its not?

Physics news on Phys.org
You first must assume that you know the purity of your starting material. The amount of pure copper carbonate hydroxide is therefore = (purity)*(mass of Cu(II)(CO3)(OH)2).

From there calculate the number of moles of the carbonate-hydroxide given and the expected mass of the product(s). Which one is closer to the data given in the problem?

Thanks for your reply.
The purity of the starting material was not provided but however your lead has put me in better shape. Any hint on the decomposition equation?

You have several choices. The point of the problem is to point you to the correct answer. Let's see what you have in some detail and we can discuss it further.

1. What is the chemical formula for copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate?

The chemical formula for copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate is CuCO3·Cu(OH)2·H2O.

2. What is the decomposition temperature of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate?

The decomposition temperature of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate is approximately 200°C.

3. What are the products of the decomposition of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate?

The products of the decomposition of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate are copper oxide (CuO), carbon dioxide (CO2), and water (H2O).

4. How does the decomposition of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate occur?

The decomposition of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate occurs through a thermal decomposition reaction, where heat is applied to break down the compound into its constituent elements.

5. What are the practical applications of the decomposition of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate?

The decomposition of copper II carbonate hydroxide hydrate is used in the production of copper oxide, which has various applications such as a pigment in ceramics and as a catalyst in chemical reactions. It is also used as a source of carbon dioxide in chemical reactions and in the production of carbon nanotubes.