Decreasing entropy of the universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of decreasing entropy in the universe by being a part of a larger system and the possibility of this in relation to the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model and M-theory. There is no current evidence for this idea and it remains highly speculative.
cansay27
I'm not sure whether this belongs in this topic or Beyond the Standard Model.

I was reading through various articles and threads on this site when I had an epiphany, and now I am curious to see if it could work.

The biggest influence on the fate of the universe is its entropy. Because there is no way to decrease the entropy of a closed system, it must keep increasing until the universe runs out of available energy. My question is this: Could our universe's entropy decrease if it was a part of a much larger system, allowing heat death to be avoided?
Reading the Steinhardt-Turok cyclic model of the universe, I learned that our universe might be a 3-brane floating in a 5-brane, and that other universes could easily coexist just a few Planck lengths away. If there was some particle (dark matter perhaps) that could travel from one brane to the next, is it possible for that particle to carry energy into our brane?

Please forgive me if I am overlooking any details. I am a high school student who is interested in physics, but don't have enough knowledge to figure these things out for myself.

Space news on Phys.org
IF the universe is NOT a closed system, then the laws of thermodynamics would agree with the possibility of deacreasing the entropy of the universe. However, this is highly speculative, so don't assume this to be true or try to push it to be true or anything like that. We have zero evidence for this. CURRENTLY, science believes that the universe is a closed system. It doesn't usually help anything to talk about possibilities without some kind of evidence.

Well plenty of work has been done on M-theory and we have no direct evidence of this, either. According to known knowledge on M-theory, does this work? I guess this is a better question.

cansay27 said:
Well plenty of work has been done on M-theory and we have no direct evidence of this, either. According to known knowledge on M-theory, does this work? I guess this is a better question.

I don't see why not.

I appreciate your curiosity and interest in physics. The concept of decreasing entropy in the universe is a complex and ongoing topic in the scientific community. While it is true that the entropy of a closed system can never decrease, there are theories and models, such as the cyclic model you mentioned, that suggest the possibility of our universe being a part of a larger system.

However, it is important to note that these are still theoretical concepts and have not been proven or observed in reality. As a high school student, it is great that you are thinking critically and exploring these ideas, but it is also important to remember that scientific theories and models are constantly evolving and being refined through experimentation and observation.

In addition, the concept of dark matter being able to travel between branes and potentially carrying energy is an interesting idea, but it is currently not supported by any evidence. Dark matter is still a mystery in the scientific community and its properties and behavior are still being studied and researched.

Overall, while the idea of decreasing entropy in the universe is intriguing, it is important to approach it with caution and continue to explore and test these theories through scientific methods. Who knows, you may even contribute to the understanding of this concept in the future!

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of the universe, it is a measure of the amount of energy that is no longer available to do work.

2. How does the entropy of the universe decrease?

The entropy of the universe decreases when energy is converted from a more disordered form to a more ordered form. This can happen through processes like chemical reactions, formation of structures, and gravity.

3. Why is decreasing entropy important?

Decreasing entropy is important because it allows for the formation of complex structures and the maintenance of life. If entropy constantly increased, the universe would eventually reach a state of maximum disorder and all processes would come to a halt.

4. Can entropy ever decrease in a closed system?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease. However, localized decreases in entropy are possible within a closed system as long as the overall trend is towards an increase in entropy.

5. How does the concept of entropy relate to the heat death of the universe?

The heat death of the universe is a theoretical state in which the universe reaches maximum entropy, resulting in a state of no energy and no potential for change. This is often described as the end of the universe, as all processes will come to a halt. However, it is important to note that this is just a theoretical concept and it is not yet known if the universe will actually reach this state.