1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of "brief" for a personal statement?

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    Here's the description of the personal statement for one university for which I'm applying for graduate school:

Please upload a document briefly describing your past work in your proposed or allied fields of study, including non-course educational experiences, teaching, or other relevant employment, publications, theses, research in progress, other scholarly activities, and your plans for graduate study and a professional career.
    I'm not sure what is considered "brief". I have a 3-page personal statement which I have been trying to whittle down, but it's difficult to do so while still including all of the relevant topics. I've talked for maybe 2 or 3 sentences about each project which led to a paper (5 total), and then 3-4 sentences about each research experience outside of my own university (two internships). I've also talked about TA experience for 3-4 sentences (I've TA'd 15 sections, and in charge of tutoring for the department). Of course, I talk for a paragraph about who I'd be interested in doing research with at the university and why I'm a good fit for the program (same school I did my REU at, so a lot to talk about there).

I don't know what to start cutting without cutting out vital information, you know? But at the same time, I doubt anyone on an admissions committee cares enough to read three pages from each applicant.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2
    If they are still interested after reading the more basic info, odds are they will read all three pages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook