Definition Of Logical Connectives

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
Hello,

I just began my Discrete Mathematics class. It is rather interesting, but I have a few questions regarding the definitions of logical connectives. For instance, my book states that the conditional statement,[itex]p \rightarrow q[/itex] serving as an example, is false when p is true and and q is false, and true otherwise.

Was there reasoning used to define this, or did the person arbitrarily define it?

Answers and Replies

p→q is read "p implies q" or "if p then q"
That is, by definition, if p is true then so is q.

So if p were true, and q were not true then, p→q would not be a true statement.

Does that make sense?

We can go through a proof if you like.

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Was there reasoning used to define this, or did the person arbitrarily define it?

In mathematics (and perhaps in life) if someone claims "If A is true then B is true" and you wish to disprove it, then need an example when A is true and B is false. It doesn't help to cite an example when A is false. For example, if we claim if a figure is a triangle then the sum of it's interior angles is 180 deg. then we don't want to someone to disprove that by drawing a square.

If left to non-mathematicians ,when A is false, the statement "If A then B" might be declared to be "undecided" or something like that - something neither true nor false. But this doesn't work once you begin to consider logical functions with variables in them. To turn these into "statements" , you quantify the variables with modifiers like "for each" or "there exists". We regard the statement "For each x, if 0 < x < 3 then 0 < x^2 < 9" as true. We don't want to say it's "undecided" or false because of the case when x = 234. The "if..." part is rather like a filter. If a statement correctly filters out all cases that don't apply, then the statement is true.

Hello,

I just began my Discrete Mathematics class. It is rather interesting, but I have a few questions regarding the definitions of logical connectives. For instance, my book states that the conditional statement,[itex]p \rightarrow q[/itex] serving as an example, is false when p is true and and q is false, and true otherwise.

If 2+2 = 5 then I'm the Pope. That's a true statement.

How could you disprove it? You'd have to show that

1) 2 + 2 = 5; and

2) I'm not the Pope.

But you can't do that!! You can't show that 2 + 2 = 5 because that's false.

So you see, if 2 + 2 = 5 then I'm the Pope. Any implication where the antecedent is false, is a true implication.

Hope this helps. This is certainly a common area of confusion. After a while you'll get used to it. False antecedent implies anything.

By the way if I happened to be the Pope -- which, on an anonymous forum, can't be completely ruled out -- then "if 2 + 2 = 5 then I'm the Pope" is also a true implication. If the consequent is true, then the implication is true.

Therefore to make my examples work, I have to actually assure you that I am not the Pope :-) But if 2 + 2 were 5, I certainly would be.