Definition of the potential energy operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the operator ##\hat{V}## in quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to potential energy. It is agreed that assuming ##V## can be expanded in a power series of ##\hat{x}## and using the position representation, the expression ##\hat{V} | x \rangle = V(x) | x \rangle## is correct. However, this does not imply that all potentials are local. A recommended introductory textbook on quantum mechanics is J.J. Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics, Revised Edition".
Lebnm
In quantum mechanics, I can write the hamiltonian as ##\hat{H} = \hat{p}^{2}/2m + \hat{V}##. I am confusing with the definition of the operator ##\hat{V}##, who represents the potential energy. If the potential energy depend only on the position, is it correct write ##\hat{V} = V(\hat{x})##? And, assuming that ##V## can be expanded in a power series of ##\hat{x}##, and using ##\hat{x} | x \rangle = x | x \rangle##, can I write ##\hat{V} | x \rangle = V(x) | x \rangle##? I would like know if this things I wrote are correct. Does anyone know a book or article that talk about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right. A good introductory QT textbook is

J.J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, Revised Edition, Addison-Wesley 1994

Likes Lebnm
Lebnm said:
assuming that ##V## can be expanded in a power series of ##\hat{x}##, and using ##\hat{x} | x \rangle = x | x \rangle##, can I write ##\hat{V} | x \rangle = V(x) | x \rangle##?
By definition of the position representation, this is correct for all ##V##, even if no series expansion exists.

• Informative
Likes Lebnm
A. Neumaier said:
By definition of the position representation, this is correct for all ##V##, even if no series expansion exists.

Why? Would not this imply that all potentials are local?

Do you have references about this? it has been difficult find books that talk about this.

Lebnm said:
Why? Would not this imply that all potentials are local?

Do you have references about this? it has been difficult find books that talk about this.
For all ##V(x) ##, as in your formula. Usually only such interactions get the name potential energy.

1. What is the definition of the potential energy operator?

The potential energy operator is a mathematical representation of the potential energy of a system in quantum mechanics. It is denoted by the symbol V and is used to calculate the potential energy of a particle in a given position.

2. How is the potential energy operator related to the Hamiltonian operator?

The Hamiltonian operator, denoted by the symbol H, is the sum of the kinetic energy operator and the potential energy operator. It represents the total energy of a system and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

3. Can the potential energy operator be used for any type of potential energy?

Yes, the potential energy operator can be used for any type of potential energy, including gravitational, electric, and magnetic potentials. It is a general operator that can be applied to a wide range of physical systems.

4. How is the potential energy operator applied in Schrödinger's equation?

In Schrödinger's equation, the potential energy operator is multiplied by the wave function to obtain the potential energy of the system at a given point in space. This is then used to calculate the time evolution of the wave function and determine the behavior of the system.

5. What is the significance of the potential energy operator in quantum mechanics?

The potential energy operator is a crucial concept in quantum mechanics as it allows for the calculation of the potential energy of a system and its effect on the behavior of particles. It is used in various equations and models to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems.