Definition of Volume Limited Sample for Sky Surveys

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Zaphodx57x
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Zaphodx57x
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Does anybody have a link to a precise definition of a "volume limited sample." This pertains especially to sky surveys that catalog galaxies. Due to limited precision, surveys tend to miss fainter galaxies as redshift increases. Thus, very loosely, I think, a volume limited sample filters out certain galaxies so that only galaxies of a finite brightness range are considered at all pertinent redshifts. However, I am looking for a precise definition, but can't seem to find one.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
A volume limited sample just takes galaxies within a certain redshift range.

Zaphodx57x said:
Thus, very loosely, I think, a volume limited sample filters out certain galaxies so that only galaxies of a finite brightness range are considered at all pertinent redshifts.

Do you mean absolute or apparent brightness? If the latter, this is not a volume limited sample.