Degree in statistic and mathematic

In summary, you should stick with your degree in Math or Statistics. A degree in Computer Science can also be very valuable. Keep in mind that you may not be able to get a job as a quant with a B.S. in Math with a Statistics concentration, but you can still have a very successful career in the field.
d_b
Hi! I'm on my way to get my bachelor in Statistic and mathematic with specialization in statistic...the thing is i heard a few people said that they have to go back to school because this field has no future...Now I'm kinda worry because I'm not sure if I'm in the right field. I like doing what I'm doing right now but what kind of jobs can i get from this degree? I've been thinking about switching it to software engineer but i don't know what would the future hold for that either...does anyone know??

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are already persuing a degree in Math or Statistics , you should just stick with it. If you are interested in it you should stick with it. I am currently a Computer Science major, and i can tell you that math skills are very sought after especially in finiance and wall street. Trust me you still would have marketable skills. If you really are interested in Computer Engineering you should just minor in it. You don't need a software engineering, to be one you just have to be technically skilled and be a problem solver. If you have a good portifilio you do fine.

Tacomablack said:
Im currently a Computer Science major, and i can tell you that math skills are very sought after especially in finiance and wall street.

Yea, now's a great time to go hit up wall street or a bank for a job.

/sigh

There have been a few times in the past that firms were working hard to find quantitative finance people. As time has gone on, it's become more myth than reality. Right now probably all myth.

Even at the best of times, a math/statistics BS didn't get you a job as a quant.

d_b said:
Hi! I'm on my way to get my bachelor in Statistic and mathematic with specialization in statistic...

What do you want to do? What kind of work do you want to do? What kind of job do you want to have? What kind of company or entity do you want to work for? Where are you getting your degree from? Where would you like to work?

I think you have a pretty decent shot at getting a job with a B.S. in Math with a Statistics concentration. I just graduated in May with a Math degree and Stats minor and started my career (actuary) in July, and I know plenty of math majors that found jobs pretty quickly: a friend of mine works for the Census bureau, another works on weapon systems for the Navy; in fact, each of these guys were both Math majors and Statistics minors. A (stats) professor of mine used to joke about the degree: the math for fun, and the statistics to get a job. He is right: emphasize your Statistics experience. However, the math major is a valuable thing as well: emphasize problem solving skills, logical thinking skills, patience :smile:

Computer skills can be very valuable when looking for a job. Having experience with SAS, a programming language (C++ or Java or ...), MS Excel (and if you have the time, mess around in MS Access) are definitely a plus. You don't need to be an expert with any of these programs, but you should have some knowledge of each.

Networking can also be extremely valuable (it's how I got my job). Once you have an idea of what it is you would like to do, then start getting involved with people in the profession. Don't ask them for a job (yet), just ask them lots of questions and if possible have lunch and talk with them: see if they like the profession, what skills are necessary to excel in the profession, and so on. Also, look into job fairs - either on campus (preferred) or in your local city.

However, all of what I wrote is meaningless until you can answer Locrian's questions: what do you want to do? There are lots of jobs out there, just find what you want and go for it!

The thing is I'm not sure what i want to do. I'm good in math and I'm good in programming. I can sit for hours doing either one. I just need to know that after school I could get a job that pays off. Especially in Canada, I don't really speak french and I don't know how hard to get a job in Canada without french.

how bout doign something else liek healthcare? you know that's going to be stable.

English isn't my first language, I have a hard time getting through school without getting bad marks from all the writing courses, I don't know if I could write well enough to get me into medical school

try to take ESL courses at a community college. I am sure they got tutors there.

1. What is a degree in statistics and mathematics?

A degree in statistics and mathematics is a program of study that focuses on the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data. It combines the fields of statistics and mathematics to provide students with a strong foundation in both quantitative reasoning and problem-solving skills.

2. What career options are available with a degree in statistics and mathematics?

Graduates with a degree in statistics and mathematics have a wide range of career options, including data analyst, actuary, market researcher, financial analyst, and statistician. They can also pursue careers in fields such as business, healthcare, government, and research.

3. What skills will I develop with a degree in statistics and mathematics?

A degree in statistics and mathematics will help you develop a variety of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and quantitative reasoning. You will also gain proficiency in statistical software and programming languages, such as R and Python.

4. Is a degree in statistics and mathematics a good choice for someone interested in data science?

Yes, a degree in statistics and mathematics is an excellent choice for anyone interested in data science. The program provides a strong foundation in both statistics and mathematics, which are essential for understanding and analyzing data. Additionally, many data science positions require knowledge and skills in both of these fields.

5. What are the prerequisites for a degree in statistics and mathematics?

The specific prerequisites for a degree in statistics and mathematics may vary depending on the university or college you are applying to. However, most programs require students to have a strong background in mathematics, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and probability. Some programs may also require coursework in statistics or computer science.