Math vs Statistics Degree/Major For Investment Banking

• Other
  • Thread starter CarmineS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses the best career path for someone interested in investment banking. While both statistics and mathematics are seen as valuable fields, statistics is seen as more closely related to investment banking and may provide a better foundation. The conversation also touches on the importance of programming skills and the potential for a PhD in statistics to overlap with an undergraduate degree in math. However, it is noted that the perspective and methods in the two fields can be quite different. The conversation also mentions the potential for undergraduate students from top schools to go directly into investment banking, but for more quantitative roles, a PhD in a quantitative field may be necessary.
CarmineS
Hello, I am just posting a quick question asking what is better if I want to get into investment banking. If I was too go for statistics, I would most likely get a PhD. If I went for mathematics I would want to double major in Econ and Math and get an undergraduate degree in both. Which is a better career path for investment banking? I have always been interested in finance and have recently been reading financial news and enjoying it, while making my own predictions and such.

Personally, I think I would enjoy getting a degree in stats more but math is just as fun.

Physics news on Phys.org
Statistics.

The PhD is better than any undergraduate degree. Statistics is far closer to the matter. From the standpoint of a banker, mathematics and statistics are the same mystery anyway. All who will judge you while applying for a job know what statistics is and why it is helpful in investment banking. This cannot be said about mathematics in general. You automatically get mathematical knowledge in statistics as well, at least to the extend needed. Latest if people start to talk about an M-chart or a W-chart as an argument against something that you say, you will run in despair anyway.

Likes StatGuy2000
The ability to program will also be critically important for the kind of job it sounds like you're interested in, so get plenty of that as well.

Likes StatGuy2000
Locrian said:
The ability to program will also be critically important for the kind of job it sounds like you're interested in, so get plenty of that as well.

I agree 100% with this statement.

More generally, I would agree with @fresh_42 that getting a degree in statistics or operations research up to the Masters level (and certainly at a PhD level) would be a good place as a means of getting into investment banking, while in addition giving you a broad set of skills that could enable you to find employment in many other areas as well.

fresh_42 said:
Statistics.

Latest if people start to talk about an M-chart or a W-chart as an argument against something that you say, you will run in despair anyway.

Thanks for your reply, I don't understand the last sentence of your post. Why would I run in despair? Are you saying I would be running in despair if I had a math undergraduate degree?

I know it is dependent on the program type, but wouldn't a PhD in Stats have a major overlap with an undergraduate degree in math in terms of courses?

CarmineS said:
Thanks for your reply, I don't understand the last sentence of your post. Why would I run in despair? Are you saying I would be running in despair if I had a math undergraduate degree?
This was a remark about the good old chart analysis techniques, which as far as I know are still in use. People are still talking about sideways movements and similar observations based on experience and chart flows. I wonder if there were serious studies to which extend those explanations are of mathematical, resp. statistical value. In any case, they are a bit disturbing if you have completely different methods in mind learned in college.
CarmineS said:
I know it is dependent on the program type, but wouldn't a PhD in Stats have a major overlap with an undergraduate degree in math in terms of courses?
This can be the case but doesn't necessarily has to be. It depends on so much factors, that I doubt that anyone can tell for sure. Of course one needs basic skills which are the same in both fields but the point of view can be quite different.

fresh_42 said:
This was a remark about the good old chart analysis techniques, which as far as I know are still in use. People are still talking about sideways movements and similar observations based on experience and chart flows. I wonder if there were serious studies to which extend those explanations are of mathematical, resp. statistical value. In any case, they are a bit disturbing if you have completely different methods in mind learned in college.

This can be the case but doesn't necessarily has to be. It depends on so much factors, that I doubt that anyone can tell for sure. Of course one needs basic skills which are the same in both fields but the point of view can be quite different.

One thing I LOVE about physics and math is that I could spend my whole life dedicated to the subject, but not know everything about it. Is stats the same? After a PhD would there be an even harder level? Also, what would a PhD thesis for a stats student look like?

I don't know. You brought up the PhD as final exam. Here you can't get a PhD in statistics without graduating in math first.

fresh_42 said:
I don't know. You brought up the PhD as final exam. Here you can't get a PhD in statistics without graduating in math first.

What does "Here" mean to you? Most schools in the United States offer an undergraduate degree in statistics directly. I never referenced the PhD as a final exam, but all PhD s are accompanied by a thesis required to graduate.

It depends on what part of investment banking you want to go into. Many students from elite schools go work for investment banks right out of undergrad. A lot of them studied Econ, some in business (at places like MIT or Wharton), some of them may even have studied subjects in the humanities. The caveat is that the banks only recruit from a few schools. If you want to do more quantitative things you would need a PhD in a quantitative field like math/stats/physics/engineering etc.

Likes Päällikkö
radium said:
It depends on what part of investment banking you want to go into. Many students from elite schools go work for investment banks right out of undergrad. A lot of them studied Econ, some in business (at places like MIT or Wharton), some of them may even have studied subjects in the humanities. The caveat is that the banks only recruit from a few schools. If you want to do more quantitative things you would need a PhD in a quantitative field like math/stats/physics/engineering etc.

So from the other responses, I can tell that a stats degree is the best for investment banking, but I am not sure that degree would fulfill me, it's too "uncertain", I also don't know after I get my degree if there is that "next step" to where I can take my learning above my PhD like I can in physics and mathematics were changes are happening every day.

You will be approximately tice your present age hen you finish a PhD. It is difficult to predict now what will be the best path then. Banking will change. Course and degree requirements will change.

CarmineS said:
So from the other responses, I can tell that a stats degree is the best for investment banking, but I am not sure that degree would fulfill me, it's too "uncertain", I also don't know after I get my degree if there is that "next step" to where I can take my learning above my PhD like I can in physics and mathematics were changes are happening every day.

Stats is a really rich field, and modern statistical learning is growing very rapidly. There's no shortage of interesting things to explore, or places to work.

But honestly, if uncertainty isn't your thing, shooting for an investment banking job seems pretty weird.

1. What is the main difference between a Math degree and a Statistics degree for Investment Banking?

The main difference between a Math degree and a Statistics degree for Investment Banking is the focus of the coursework. A Math degree typically includes a wide range of mathematical concepts, such as calculus, algebra, and geometry. On the other hand, a Statistics degree focuses more on the analysis and interpretation of data and includes courses in probability, statistical modeling, and data analysis techniques.

2. Which degree is more relevant for a career in Investment Banking?

Both a Math degree and a Statistics degree can be relevant for a career in Investment Banking. However, a Statistics degree may be more directly applicable as it provides a strong foundation in data analysis and modeling, which are crucial skills in the financial industry. A Math degree can also be beneficial, as it provides a solid understanding of mathematical principles that can be applied to various financial problems.

3. Can a Math degree be substituted for a Statistics degree in Investment Banking?

In some cases, a Math degree can be substituted for a Statistics degree in Investment Banking. However, it may be more challenging to secure a role in this field without a strong background in statistics and data analysis. Additionally, many Investment Banking firms specifically look for candidates with a Statistics degree or relevant coursework in statistics.

4. Are there any overlap in coursework between a Math and Statistics degree for Investment Banking?

Yes, there is some overlap in coursework between a Math and Statistics degree for Investment Banking. Both degrees typically include courses in calculus, probability, and financial mathematics. However, a Statistics degree will have a more significant focus on statistical analysis and modeling, while a Math degree may have a broader range of mathematical concepts covered.

5. Which degree is more challenging, Math or Statistics, for Investment Banking?

Both a Math and Statistics degree can be challenging for Investment Banking, as they require a strong understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Some may find the analytical and data-driven focus of a Statistics degree more challenging, while others may find the abstract and theoretical nature of a Math degree more difficult.