Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree Needed for Medical Research

  1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone.
    I am currently a junior in college majoring in biochemistry. I want to be able to do some sort of medical research. I want to conduct experiments that I come up with or help to come up with, rather than performing experiments for other people. What kind of professional degree would I need to do this? And would I have to go to graduate school or medical school?

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Medical school trains you to practice medicine. Graduate school trains you to do research. That being said, many MDs are involved in research - but often their contributions will be on the level of defining protocols, recruiting patients, or evaluating outcomes. "Medical research" is a broad term. A botanist, a physicist, a mathematician, and a kinesiologist can all do research related to medicine.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook