Why is the degree of unsaturation 9 for C9H6N4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter phoenixXL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
phoenixXL
Messages
49
Reaction score
4
Question
Find out the degree of unsaturation in a compound having the molecular formulae C9H6N4.

Attempt
The point lies in making the possible structure(s).
The structure that I felt possible is as follows
Struct.png

In the compound above there are 8-π electrons,
Hence the degree of unsaturation is 8(Ans)

Problem

The problem comes from the topic of structural isomerism and the book says the answer to be 9

Please help me out. Thanks for your time.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hint: you are aware of the fact degree of unsaturation for cyclohexane - despite the compound being saturated - is 1?

In other words, degree of unsaturation is not only about pi electrons. There are formulas to calculate degree of unsaturation based on the molecular formula alone (without any structural information).
 
Okay, I didn't knew about that.
I looked Wikipedia and found that rings are counted as a degree of unsaturation, therefore I get the missing "1" from my answer. Also I was unaware of the formula(curious to see its derivation).
Thank You.
 
phoenixXL said:
Also I was unaware of the formula(curious to see its derivation).

There is no derivation - it is more like a definition.
 
phoenixXL said:
Okay, I didn't knew about that.
I looked Wikipedia and found that rings are counted as a degree of unsaturation, therefore I get the missing "1" from my answer. Also I was unaware of the formula(curious to see its derivation).
Thank You.

##DU = 1 + \frac{1}{2}∑[n_i (v_i - 2)]## where ni is the number of atoms of an element and vi is the valency of that element. Note that this gives you the total number of rings and π bonds.