Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dehumidifier from a walk-in freezer unit?

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    I have 2 each 1-1/2 ton refrigeration units for a walk-in freezer. I would like to build a dehumidifation kiln to dry lumber. Each unit would freeze an 8' x 10' freezer to -20 degrees.

How hard would it be to use a freezer compressor and condensor as a dehumidifier? How would it work?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.

The difficulty here is that the temperatures generated at each coil are largely a function of the physical properties of the refrigeration system: the refrigerant, its pressure and the compression ratio. As a result, your evaporator is going to "want" to be at -30 or so and it will be very hard for you to keep it from frosting over.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    Russ,

The condensor for a freezer has heat strips built-in and will run a defrost cycle as programmed. Would this be enough?

I also have a condensor that is refrigeration. (for a walk-in refrigerator) Perhaps I could match that with the compressor unit!

Thank You,
    Bill

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What is the operating temperature of this "kiln" going to be? It would be a balancing act, but it may be possible for this to work if you have enough airflow and temperature to keep the leaving refrigerant temperature high and the condensation from getting too cold. You'll want to strike a balance, having little enough airflow that it gets cooled enough to condense water but enough airflow that it doesn't freeze the water on the coils.

Are you using this system as the only source of heat/dehumidification for the system? Ie, are you using the condenser heat to warm the "kiln" while using the evaporator to dehumidify it?

A periodic defrost cycle would certainly help.

Whatever parts you use, do you have access to the operating points of the cycle, meaning the design pressures? That would help a lot in figuring out how to make the performace work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook