Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deleted posts should preserve the sequential numbering

1. Oct 9, 2016 #1

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If i refer to an earlier post by number, that number is subject to change when one in between gets deleted.

Should deleted posts perhaps rather than disappear be replaced by a place holder or 'this post intentionally blank" ?

Something like a sequential file, you don't delete sectors in the middle.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Post deleted by a moderator" should spell out the truth of what happened for the general reader, just like "last edited by a moderator" already exists. So I support your proposal to Greg.

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When a post is "deleted" by a mentor, it's not actually deleted, it's just that regular members can no longer see it, it's still there and can be restored. So it may not be possible to do what you're asking, but @Greg Bernhardt may know the answer.

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4
    As Evo said the post is essentially hidden. We do sometimes restore a deleted (hidden) post so the numbering needs to remain in tact.

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is it? Can you point to a thread where that has happened?

7. Oct 9, 2016 #6

berkeman

I'm pretty sure I've seen that happen. I'll test it now by deleting your post...

EDIT -- Yep, when I deleted your post, my post went to #5. Undeleting your post made this post of mine go back to #6.

8. Oct 9, 2016 #7

berkeman

@Greg Bernhardt -- I'd support an RFE to the software developers to have an option to keep the post numbering consistent when posts are deleted. Not all forums may want it, but I think it would be a good idea as an option for forum owners to decide. Referring to posts by number must be common in many forum communities. Otherwise, what is the point of numbering the posts at all? :smile:

9. Oct 9, 2016 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmmm am i mistaken ? I was sure i'd seen it
    but now that i'm challenged i'll have to dig one up.

Wait a second --- How sure are you guys that when moderation occurs , numbering stays the same ?

Yes, Vanadium my deleted posts in
    Breaking Down POTUS ..........
    disappeared
    yet numbering is sequential though there should be numbers missing. I dont see any missing. Numbers apparently get reshuffled among posts so there's no discontinuities..

old jim

EDiT i see it's been tested. Thanks guys.

10. Oct 9, 2016 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

looks like they dont stay intact.

11. Oct 10, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

The numbers change if posts are deleted. Above my post, Vanadium made a post and deleted it. As you can see, it doesn't count.

It can be confusing, but non-sequential post numbers can be confusing as well. This would also break the postnumber/pagenumber relation.

12. Oct 10, 2016 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How then does one refer to another post if its number is subject to change?
    That's why they changed freeway exit numbering from sequential to mile marker.

If instead of disappearing they were replaced by a placeholder it'd be win-win.

13. Oct 10, 2016 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Posts in the middle of threads are rarely deleted, and if it is just a single post then you are only off by one, which is not hard to figure out. I don't say it is ideal but I don't think it is a big deal.

14. Oct 10, 2016 #13

Ibix

Science Advisor

You can click on a post number to get a URL to link to it. For example, I might refer to Jim's last post.

15. Oct 11, 2016 #14

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

except in pf lounge political threads

if that's what it takes.... seems analogous to referring to highway exits by gps coordinates instead of mile marker though.

16. Oct 11, 2016 #15

Mark44

When we delete a post, ordinarily it is just hidden. We also have the ability to vaporize a post, permanently deleting it. AFAIK, once deleted this way, it can't be restored.

But it does happen.

17. Oct 11, 2016 #16

Evo

True, but we don't permanently delete a post unless it's spam, at least we're not supposed to.

If a thread has a lot of sudden activity, it's not unlikely that an older post will need to be deleted. This is why we ask people to report posts that are questionable so that they can be looked at in a timely manner. This is the first time I am aware of that anyone has said that a deleted post caused them trouble in referring to another post in a thread, why not just quote the post you wish to refer to? That is how people usually refer to a post and would solve your problem.

18. Oct 11, 2016 #17

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That'll work. just seems counterintuitive intuitive that a post number is a fluid thing.
    It's helpful to have some kind of milepost by which one can find old posts. Hopefully permalinks dont change.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  19. Oct 11, 2016 #18

Evo

There are a lot of things that are counterintuitive and have us pulling our hair out at times. Greg always goes to bat for us with the software developers, but they just don't seem to get our needs. Always feel free to ask, things won't change if you don't ask, of course things might not change no matter how many times people ask. Greg doesn't own the software and he can only ask most of the time. Things that we all feel are just common sense are dismissed by the developers. Believe me , it's not that we won't do it, we don't have the ability to do it.

20. Oct 11, 2016 #19

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks Evo

i'm an old hardware guy but i took my share of programming courses.
    Programmers are different (from me anyway) i think they're more verbal-brain oriented and outgoing. Before class they're working crossword puzzles and anagrams. Their conversation sparkled .
    We hardware guys were more introverted, read tech manuals and struggled for words to describe oscilloscope setups or car repairs. Honest, i felt like Cliff Robertson in Charly.

old jim

21. Oct 12, 2016 #20

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Vaporize"?

The abilities of the moderators never cease to impress me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted