Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deleting threads without proper reason

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    I had created a thread in the chemistry forums regarding the addition of thiols to vinyl ethers.
    The question was proper and "was not homework/numerical/objective question". I just wanted to know if the reaction was correct and the question was "not given by teacher/not taken from problem books/school textbooks/tution books". It was a conceptual question and I am not a chemistry professor yet. No information about the free radical initiator had been given and only one line about the topic was given. I just wanted to know if my understanding was correct. A simple yes or no would have helped me a lot.
    Such kind of question was answered in general physics forums. (I can give you the link).
    Also, @Borek could have asked me to explain further. he could have replied in the thread rather than simply removing it.
    You must also understand that I dont have a good chemistry teacher to answer my Question.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2
    Instead of simply deleting, you should have sent a warning and should have allowed me to edit the question.

4. May 9, 2015 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If you want a copy of the deleted post so that you can edit it into a more acceptable form, just ask.

5. May 9, 2015 #4
    Okay. Please retore the post and let me edit it. I still dont know why @Borek deleted it.

6. May 9, 2015 #5
    how do you define "homework question"?

7. May 9, 2015 #6

Nugatory

I didn't say I would restore it, I said that you could have a copy. It'll be in your inbox in a few minutes.

Borek explained why the post was deleted in the private message that he sent you.

8. May 9, 2015 #7
    I said the explanation was not proper. He dod not say in what way it was a homework question. He should have put a reply asking me to explain. Thats what Chet does. He make me solve the problem. so does Haruspex. But they never deleted it.

9. May 9, 2015 #8

Borek

You are aware of the fact you are breaking the rules again?

10. May 9, 2015 #9

Drakkith

Per the Terms and Rules page:

Your post referenced a textbook and looked like a homework-type question to me. Given that mentors routinely delete homework questions that have been posted in the technical forums, I see no reason to have kept your post around at the time. Keep in mind that deciding whether a post meets the rules or not is rarely a black and white issue. We can't read the minds of members, so while it may be obvious to you that your question isn't homework, it isn't obvious for us at all, or to other members who report these kinds of issues to us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook