Delta function antisymmetric potential problem

In summary, the wave function is discontinuous at the delta function, with a discontinuity given by the equation. The delta function potential will act as an infinite wall if there is an infinite well to the left of it.
frankcastle

Homework Statement

particle of mass m is subjected to antisymmetric delta-function potential V(x) =V'Delta(x+a)-V'Delta(x-a) where V'>0
Show that there is only one bound state, and find its energy

Homework Equations

Assuming free particle eqn for x<-a for particle incident from -ve infinity,
psi(x)=Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx) k=(2mE*(4pi)sqrd/(h)sqrd)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to go about the solution for a regular square potential. How does one account for the delta function nature of this potential well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen the problem with a single delta-function, V(x) = -V' delta(x) ? It seems unlikely that you would be assigned this more complicated problem if the simpler one were not already presented. And if not, you should start with it as a warm-up problem. It also has one bound state.

Oh this isn't an assignment problem, I found it in some text while I was preparing for some QM coursework. I have not come across the single potential question though.

Will it act as an infinite wall? But since the thickness is negligible there must be some flux leakage right?

What if there is an infinite wall to the left of a single delta function Vdel(x-a)
How will the treatment change as compared to a simple delta function alone?

I obtained one set of boundary conditions by equating wave function on either side of the delta step.
I think the other set can be obtained by integrating the Time independent S.E on either side of the step at a by delx(tends to zero)

am i on the right track?

The way to treat a delta-function potential, mathematically, is to take the time-independent Schrodinger equation,

[tex]-{\hbar^2\over 2m}\psi''(x) - V_0 a\,\delta(x)\psi(x) = E\psi(x)[/tex]

where I've called the coefficient of the delta function [tex]V_0 a[/tex] because it has dimensions of energy times length. Now, let [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] be a small length, and integrate across the delta function location,

[tex]\int_{-\varepsilon}^{+\varepsilon}dx\left[-{\hbar^2\over 2m}\psi''(x) - V_0 a\,\delta(x)\psi(x)\right] = E\int_{-\varepsilon}^{+\varepsilon}dx\,\psi(x)[/tex]

We get

[tex]-{\hbar^2\over 2m}\Bigl[\psi'(+\varepsilon) -\psi'(-\varepsilon)\Bigr]- V_0 a\psi(0) \simeq 2\varepsilon E\psi(0)[/tex]

Taking the limit [tex]\varepsilon\to 0[/tex], we get

[tex]-{\hbar^2\over 2m}\Bigl[\psi'(0^+) -\psi'(0^-)\Bigr]- V_0 a\psi(0) = 0[/tex]

This shows that the first derivative of [tex]\psi[/tex] is discontinuous across the location of the delta function. And if the derivative has a finite discontinuity, then the function itself is continuous.

So now we know how to match the solutions on either side of the delta function.

I understand what you are saying,
one question about delta potentials,
can VoDel(x-a) be written as VoaDel(x)?

also in the integrals, wouldn't the limits be a-e and a+e ?

Also I don't understand how to get the second set of boundary conditions,
do I use the last equation you have provided to compute the second set?

How does the infinite well on the left of the delta function of potential affect the wave functions ?

frankcastle said:
I understand what you are saying,
one question about delta potentials,
can VoDel(x-a) be written as VoaDel(x)?
No.
frankcastle said:
also in the integrals, wouldn't the limits be a-e and a+e ?
Yes!
frankcastle said:
Also I don't understand how to get the second set of boundary conditions,
do I use the last equation you have provided to compute the second set?
Not sure what you mean by "second set". The wave function is continuous at the delta function, and the first derivative is discontinuous, but with a discontinuity given by the equation.
frankcastle said:
How does the infinite well on the left of the delta function of potential affect the wave functions ?
Again, not sure what you're referring to here. By "infinite well", do you mean the delta function potential itself, or something else?

no, in the case that there is another square potential barrier of infinite height to the left of the delta function, say at the origin of the X axis, how will that affect the treatment of this problem?

1. What is the Delta function antisymmetric potential problem?

The Delta function antisymmetric potential problem is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics that involves a potential energy function represented by the Dirac delta function. This potential is typically used to model a point particle or a thin barrier in a one-dimensional system.

2. How is the Delta function antisymmetric potential solved?

The solution to the Delta function antisymmetric potential problem involves using the Schrödinger equation and applying boundary conditions at the point where the potential is located. This results in a solution that includes both an incoming and outgoing wavefunction, with a discontinuity at the location of the potential.

3. What are the physical implications of the Delta function antisymmetric potential?

The Delta function antisymmetric potential has several physical implications, including the reflection and transmission of particles, and the formation of standing waves. It also demonstrates the wave-particle duality of quantum particles, as the solution involves both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

4. What is the significance of the Delta function antisymmetric potential in quantum mechanics?

The Delta function antisymmetric potential plays an important role in quantum mechanics as it allows for the study of the behavior of particles in the presence of a localized potential. It is also a key component in understanding tunneling phenomena and has applications in various fields such as solid-state physics and nuclear physics.

5. Can the Delta function antisymmetric potential be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Delta function antisymmetric potential can be extended to higher dimensions by using the appropriate generalization of the Dirac delta function. In two or three-dimensional systems, the potential is typically represented by a delta function located on a surface or a line, respectively. The solution involves considering multiple incoming and outgoing waves, resulting in more complex behavior.