DeltaH of Diluting 24% NaOH to 2% in H2O

  • Thread starter Thread starter katchum
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dilution
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
katchum
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
Hello

I know that dissolving pure NaOH in water will generate heat. But what happens when you dilute a 24% NAOH solution with water till 2%?

Example: What is the DeltaH for 100 ml 24% NaOH solution + 50 ml H2O?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right.

I found this nice table: http://www.pioneercompanies.com/customers/tech/data/naoh/ENTHALPY.pdf

You just draw a line between your solutions and you can see the final temperature.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with my method? I was asked to calculate the final temperature of the solution.

Additionally, this is the method described by the company itself:

http://www.pioneercompanies.com/customers/tech/data/naoh/DILUTION%20OF%20SODIUM%20HYDROXIDE%20SOLUTIONS.pdf

What I don't understand is, the two curves aren't the same, or am I not seeing right? There is a flattening of the curve close to 0 % for low temperatures.

The minima aren't the same either.

(as for the enthalpy of dilution, I would substract the initial and end enthalpies with each other and that's the answer)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your method is two steps , the actual method consists of three steps and three independent variables for a dilution ; first composition , water , and the desired composition.