Understanding Heat of Neutralization in Acid-Base Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses two proposed reactions for the mixing of NaOH and HCl solutions, one with the formation of Na+ and Cl- ions and the other with just H+ and OH- ions. The question arises whether these reactions will yield the same deltaH value. It is confirmed that the deltaH calculations can be simplified by ignoring the cations and anions that do not react after dissociation. The discussion also touches on the heat of neutralization and the small change in enthalpy from the decrease in concentration.
Kqwert
Homework Statement
What will the temperature be if 1 mole NaOH (aq) and 1 mole HCl (aq) are mixed when the total volume of the solutions are 1 L and both solutions were at 25 °C prior to the mixing?
Relevant Equations
I have a couple of questions related to this task.

The reaction that I proposed was this:

NaOH(aq) + HCl(aq) <--> Na+ + Cl- + H2O (l)

where as the solution manual have this net reaction, as nothing will happen with the Na+ and Cl- ions:

H+ + OH- <--> H2O.

I assume these reactions will yield the same deltaH value? If that is true, Is deltaH(for example) for deltaH(NaOH(aq)) = deltaH(Na+(aq))+deltaH(Cl-(aq)) ?

Secondly, if we go from the reaction proposed by the solution manual. How can 1 mole of H+ and OH- yield 55.6 moles of water (1 L)? (I thought it would just yield 1 mole H2O). Is it due to the rest of the water in the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kqwert said:
Problem Statement: What will the temperature be if 1 mole NaOH (aq) and 1 mole HCl (aq) are mixed when the total volume of the solutions are 1 L and both solutions were at 25 °C prior to the mixing?
Relevant Equations: .

I have a couple of questions related to this task.

The reaction that I proposed was this:

NaOH(aq) + HCl(aq) <--> Na+ + Cl- + H2O (l)

where as the solution manual have this net reaction, as nothing will happen with the Na+ and Cl- ions:

H+ + OH- <--> H2O.

I assume these reactions will yield the same deltaH value? If that is true, Is deltaH(for example) for deltaH(NaOH(aq)) = deltaH(Na+(aq))+deltaH(Cl-(aq)) ?

Secondly, if we go from the reaction proposed by the solution manual. How can 1 mole of H+ and OH- yield 55.6 moles of water (1 L)? (I thought it would just yield 1 mole H2O). Is it due to the rest of the water in the solution?
You got the answer in your last paragraph. How many moles of water will produce from the NaOH and HCl ? Where must the rest of it come from?

1 mole of water, correct? And then the rest of it must come from the fact that it's a 1L solution?

What about my first question, that relating to the deltaH calculations?

It's been several years since I've done these calculations, but HCl in solution will be H+ ions and Cl- ions. Same with NaOH in solution. It will already be Na+ ions and OH- ions.

Kqwert said:
What about my first question, that relating to the deltaH calculations?

Did you google 'heat of neutralization' ?

I did it now, and it seems like we simply ignore the cations in our deltaH calculations if they do not react after dissociation..?

What dissociation ? (and Cl- is not a cation)

Sorry - cation and anion!

I mean if we have the following equation:

NaOH(aq) + HCl(aq) <--> Na+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O (l)

we can simply write it as

H+(aq) + OH-(aq) <--> H2O(l)

and calculate deltaH for that equation, as no further reaction happens with the Na+ and Cl- cation/anion?

That's right. They were ions in water and they remain ions in water.

I expect the small change in enthalpy from the decrease in concentration can be ignored (@Chestermiller ?)

The heat of neutralization of HCl with NaOH is -57.9 kJ/mole. This is mainly due to the reaction of H+ with OH-.

Likes BvU

1. What is the formula for calculating the temperature of a mole?

The formula for calculating the temperature of a mole is T = P * V / nR, where T is the temperature in Kelvin, P is the pressure in atmospheres, V is the volume in liters, n is the number of moles, and R is the ideal gas constant (0.0821 L*atm/mol*K).

2. How do you convert from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. This is because Kelvin is based on the absolute scale, where 0 K is equal to -273.15 °C.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to mole temperature calculations?

The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. This law relates to mole temperature calculations because it allows us to calculate the temperature of a gas sample based on its pressure, volume, and number of moles.

4. Why is it important to use Kelvin in mole temperature calculations?

Kelvin is the standard unit of temperature in scientific calculations because it is based on the absolute scale and does not have negative values. This is important in mole temperature calculations because negative temperatures do not make sense in the context of gas behavior.

5. Can the ideal gas law be used for all gases?

The ideal gas law is a good approximation for most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. However, at high pressures and low temperatures, the behavior of gases deviates from the ideal gas law. In these cases, more complex equations, such as the van der Waals equation, may be used.