Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Demographics of the PF forum: where do you currently live?

Which country do you currently live?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2014.
  1. North America (US & Canada)

54 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Central America

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Caribbean countries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. South America

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Northern & Western Europe

24 vote(s)
    23.5%
  6. Eastern Europe

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Southern Europe

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  8. Middle East/Western Asia & North Africa

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Africa (excluding North African countries)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. East Asia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Southeast Asia

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Central Asia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. South Asia

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  14. Australia & New Zealand

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  15. Oceanic/South Pacific Island countries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  17. Prefer Not to Say

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aug 16, 2014 #1

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Hi everyone! I was curious as to the demographics of PF forums, so I posted this poll on where the respective members of PF forums live.

Please note -- in this poll, I am only asking which country you currently live as a permanent resident, not where you were born or raised, or what citizen you are.

BTW, here is a breakdown of the definitions:

1. North America = US & Canada

2. Central America = Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama

3. Caribbean countries = all countries in the Caribbean sea, including British, French, and Dutch colonies there (such as Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Guadeloupe, Aruba). So anyone who lives in Jamaica, Barbados, Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc. are counted here.

4. South America = all South American countries + those from colonial possessions in South America such as French Guiana or the Falkland Islands

5. Northern & Western Europe = all European countries that are not counted in the list for Eastern Europe or Southern Europe.

6. Eastern Europe = Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

7. Southern Europe = Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Italy, Malta, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Turkey

8. Middle East/Western Asia & North Africa = all countries geographically in Middle East/Western Asia & North Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt). Please note that I lump the independent Caucasus countries of Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan as part of this group, but those parts of the Caucasus that are still a part of Russia (e.g. Chechnya) are not included here.

9. Africa (excluding North African countries) = all of Africa except for the countries I identified as North Africa earlier.

10. East Asia = China, Taiwan, Korea (both North & South), Japan, Taiwan

11. Southeast Asia = Myanmar (aka Burma), Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore, the Philippines

12. Central Asia = Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan

13. South Asia = India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, the Maldives

14. Australia & New Zealand = no explanation needed

15. Oceanic/South Pacific Island countries = all countries/dependencies in the South Pacific, including Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Guam, Samoa, Tahiti, Kiribati, Fiji, etc.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

So if I am a citizen of Singapore, where my family lives, but I work in the US for 48 weeks of the year, I should put US?

4. Aug 16, 2014 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Are you a permanent resident of the US? If so, you should put the US. Otherwise, put Southeast Asia.

5. Aug 16, 2014 #4
    Northern and western Europe

6. Aug 16, 2014 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could do this much more efficiently and extensively by using information already posted.

How do I know you live in Canada? :wink:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Aug 17, 2014 #6
    Hmm. South East Asia here. Kinda new.

8. Aug 18, 2014 #7

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I'm curious about where such information would be posted apart from the profiles of individual members? Searching each individual PF member's profile section would hardly be considered efficient.

You don't -- you just have to trust me! :tongue:

9. Aug 18, 2014 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The city in which I live is the northernmost city in Canada of its size or bigger (70000 +).

For two years, I lived and worked on the Caribbean island of St. Croix. During this two-year period:

1) I lived continuously (never left, even for a visit home or a vacation) in the Caribbean;

2) I lived in the U.S., as St. Corix is part of the U.S. Virgin islands, which is a U.S. territory;

3) I worked under H1B1 visas, so I was not a U.S citizen.

How should I have completed this poll then.

10. Aug 18, 2014 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

This poll is about where you live currently, not where you lived in the past. Since you live and work in Canada at the present (according to your profile and your past posts), you should answer North America (US & Canada).

If you had still lived in St. Croix at the time I had set up this poll, you should have answered Caribbean countries. (St. Croix, like the rest of the US Virgin Islands, is a US territory, in a similar relationship to the remaining dependencies/colonies of Britain, France or Netherlands in the Caribbean like Bermuda, Guadeloupe or Aruba).

(BTW, in the previous post, I told atyy that if he was a permanent resident of the US, he should put US. I meant to say he should answer North America (US & Canada)).

11. Aug 18, 2014 #10

atyy

Science Advisor

Anyway, I put Southeast Asia, since I'm not a permanent resident of the US.

12. Aug 18, 2014 #11

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mexico is in Central America? !?

13. Aug 18, 2014 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We've had this discussion before, oddly enough.

14. Aug 18, 2014 #13

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

And why not? I define Central America as any part of the contiguous landmass of North America that is south of the United States. Isn't that how people usually define it?

15. Aug 20, 2014 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most people define a continent by its landmass - not by the borders of the countries that lie on that landmass.

Mexico is in North America.

Central America is the isthmus that connects North America and South America, requiring an arbitrary decision as to which continent it belongs to, or a way to avoid making a decision about which continent it belongs to (hence just calling those countries part of Central America instead of making a decision).

If you're from one of the Caribbean Islands, should you choose North America, Central America, or South America?

Not that I'm from Central America, but I do like to ask annoying questions. :devil:

Edit: Actually, I guess the answer to that question is kind of obvious. Who in the world gives Caribbean Islands their own category? (except you)

16. Aug 20, 2014 #15

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the "standard" definition is Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama.

I suppose the US-centric definition of Central America would be Kansas :smile:

17. Aug 21, 2014 #16
    For some reason we call everything west of the east coast and east of the Rockies and north of "The South", the "Mid-West". There's no 'Central America' in the US. We do have "Middle America," but it has no fixed location, it's a state of mind.

18. Aug 21, 2014 #17

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought everything west of L.A and east of NYC ,other than Chicago was just called "flyover country", but that may just be so in snob geography.

19. Aug 21, 2014 #18

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

20. Aug 21, 2014 #19

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. North America includes Mexico (and Greenland).

21. Aug 21, 2014 #20

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I gave the Caribbean Islands their own category at least in part because both geographically and culturally they are distinct from the contiguous land masses of North America, Central America, and South America as I've defined it (geographically, both Central American countries and the Caribbean countries are really part of North America, but that seemed inadequate to me).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook