Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Demonstrating that a mapping is injective

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    I am reading Dummit and Foote, Section 10.5 : Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I am studying Proposition 28 (D&F pages 387 - 388)

In the latter stages of the proof of Proposition 28 we find the following statement (top of page 388):

"In general, [itex] Hom_R (R, X) \cong X [/itex], the isomorphism being given by mapping a homomorphism to its value on the element [itex]1 \in R [/itex]"

I am having some trouble in demonstrating the isomorphism involved in the relationship [itex] Hom_R (R, X) \cong X [/itex].

To demonstrate the isomorphism I proceeded as follows:

Let [itex]f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) [/itex] so [itex] f,g : \ R \to X [/itex]

Consider [itex] \theta \ : \ Hom_R (R,X) \to X [/itex]

where [itex] \theta (f) = f(1_R) [/itex]

To show [itex] \theta [/itex] is a homomorphism we proceed as follows:

[itex] \theta (f + g) = (f + g)(1_R) = f(1_R) + g(1_R) [/itex]

[itex] = \theta (f) + \theta (g) [/itex]

and

[itex] \theta (rf) = (rf) = rf (1_R) = r \theta (f)[/itex] where [itex] r \in R [/itex]

Then I need to show [itex] \theta [/itex] is injective and surjective.

BUT ... I am having problems in demonstrating that [itex] \theta [/itex] is injective ... can someone help me with this task?

Note that I suspect one would proceed as follows:

Suppose we have [itex] f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) [/itex] such that:

[itex] \theta (f) = f(1_R) [/itex] and [itex] \theta (g) = f(1_R) [/itex]

Now we have, of course, by definition of g, that [itex] \theta (g) = g(1_R) [/itex]

So [itex] f(1_R) = g(1_R) [/itex] ... but how do we proceed from here to show that f = g?

Hope someone can help.

Peter

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You haven't yet used the fact that [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are not arbitrary functions from [itex]R[/itex] to [itex]X[/itex], but morphisms in the category of R-modules.

If [itex]f \in \mathrm{Hom}_R(X_1, X_2)[/itex] then by definition [itex]f[/itex] is an additive-group homomorphism which also satisfies [tex]f(rx) = rf(x)[/tex] for all [itex]r \in R[/itex] and all [itex]x \in X_1[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook