Demonstrating that a mapping is injective

In summary: With this in mind, you can now proceed to show that f and g are indeed equal. To do this, you need to show that for any element x \in X, f(x) = g(x). In summary, the relationship between Hom_R (R, X) and X is an isomorphism, where Hom_R (R, X) is the set of homomorphisms from R to X and X is itself an R-module. To demonstrate this isomorphism, we consider the mapping \theta that takes a homomorphism f to its value on the element 1_R, and show that it is a homomorphism itself. To prove that \theta is injective, we use the fact that f
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Section 10.5 : Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I am studying Proposition 28 (D&F pages 387 - 388)

In the latter stages of the proof of Proposition 28 we find the following statement (top of page 388):

"In general, [itex] Hom_R (R, X) \cong X [/itex], the isomorphism being given by mapping a homomorphism to its value on the element [itex]1 \in R [/itex]"

I am having some trouble in demonstrating the isomorphism involved in the relationship [itex] Hom_R (R, X) \cong X [/itex].

To demonstrate the isomorphism I proceeded as follows:

Let [itex]f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) [/itex] so [itex] f,g : \ R \to X [/itex]

Consider [itex] \theta \ : \ Hom_R (R,X) \to X [/itex]

where [itex] \theta (f) = f(1_R) [/itex]

To show [itex] \theta [/itex] is a homomorphism we proceed as follows:

[itex] \theta (f + g) = (f + g)(1_R) = f(1_R) + g(1_R) [/itex]

[itex] = \theta (f) + \theta (g) [/itex]

and

[itex] \theta (rf) = (rf) = rf (1_R) = r \theta (f)[/itex] where [itex] r \in R [/itex]

Then I need to show [itex] \theta [/itex] is injective and surjective.

BUT ... I am having problems in demonstrating that [itex] \theta [/itex] is injective ... can someone help me with this task?Note that I suspect one would proceed as follows:

Suppose we have [itex] f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) [/itex] such that:

[itex] \theta (f) = f(1_R) [/itex] and [itex] \theta (g) = f(1_R) [/itex]

Now we have, of course, by definition of g, that [itex] \theta (g) = g(1_R) [/itex]

So [itex] f(1_R) = g(1_R) [/itex] ... but how do we proceed from here to show that f = g?

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Section 10.5 : Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I am studying Proposition 28 (D&F pages 387 - 388)

In the latter stages of the proof of Proposition 28 we find the following statement (top of page 388):

"In general, [itex] Hom_R (R, X) \cong X [/itex], the isomorphism being given by mapping a homomorphism to its value on the element [itex]1 \in R [/itex]"

I am having some trouble in demonstrating the isomorphism involved in the relationship [itex] Hom_R (R, X) \cong X [/itex].

To demonstrate the isomorphism I proceeded as follows:

Let [itex]f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) [/itex] so [itex] f,g : \ R \to X [/itex]

Consider [itex] \theta \ : \ Hom_R (R,X) \to X [/itex]

where [itex] \theta (f) = f(1_R) [/itex]

To show [itex] \theta [/itex] is a homomorphism we proceed as follows:

[itex] \theta (f + g) = (f + g)(1_R) = f(1_R) + g(1_R) [/itex]

[itex] = \theta (f) + \theta (g) [/itex]

and

[itex] \theta (rf) = (rf) = rf (1_R) = r \theta (f)[/itex] where [itex] r \in R [/itex]

Then I need to show [itex] \theta [/itex] is injective and surjective.

BUT ... I am having problems in demonstrating that [itex] \theta [/itex] is injective ... can someone help me with this task?

Note that I suspect one would proceed as follows:

Suppose we have [itex] f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) [/itex] such that:

[itex] \theta (f) = f(1_R) [/itex] and [itex] \theta (g) = f(1_R) [/itex]

Now we have, of course, by definition of g, that [itex] \theta (g) = g(1_R) [/itex]

So [itex] f(1_R) = g(1_R) [/itex] ... but how do we proceed from here to show that f = g?

You haven't yet used the fact that [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are not arbitrary functions from [itex]R[/itex] to [itex]X[/itex], but morphisms in the category of R-modules.

If [itex]f \in \mathrm{Hom}_R(X_1, X_2)[/itex] then by definition [itex]f[/itex] is an additive-group homomorphism which also satisfies [tex]f(rx) = rf(x)[/tex] for all [itex]r \in R[/itex] and all [itex]x \in X_1[/itex].

1. What is the definition of injective mapping?

An injective mapping is a function or relation between two sets where each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range. This means that no two distinct elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range.

2. How can I demonstrate that a mapping is injective?

To demonstrate that a mapping is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. This means that if you draw a horizontal line on the graph of the mapping, it should only intersect the graph at most once. Another way is to show that for any two distinct elements in the domain, their corresponding outputs in the range are also distinct.

3. Are all one-to-one mappings injective?

Yes, all one-to-one mappings are injective. This is because a one-to-one mapping means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range, which is the definition of an injective mapping.

4. Can a mapping be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a mapping can be both injective and surjective. This type of mapping is called a bijective mapping. It means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range, and every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain.

5. What is the importance of injective mappings in mathematics and science?

Injective mappings are important in mathematics and science because they preserve the structure of a set. This means that the distinctiveness of elements in the domain is maintained when mapping to the range. In science, injective mappings are used in data analysis and modeling, where one-to-one relationships between variables are necessary.