Demonstrating that a mapping is injective

In summary, the statement "In general, Hom_R (R, X) \cong X , the isomorphism being given by mapping a homomorphism to its value on the element 1 \in R" is proving that the kernel of the isomorphism is the 0-map. However, to prove is surjective, is injective, and consists of only the 0-map, it is necessary to show that there is a homomorphism from the submodule generated by $x$ to Hom_R (R,X).
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Section 10.5 : Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I am studying Proposition 28 (D&F pages 387 - 388)

In the latter stages of the proof of Proposition 28 we find the following statement (top of page 388):

"In general, \(\displaystyle Hom_R (R, X) \cong X \), the isomorphism being given by mapping a homomorphism to its value on the element \(\displaystyle 1 \in R \)"

I am having some trouble in demonstrating the isomorphism involved in the relationship \(\displaystyle Hom_R (R, X) \cong X \).

To demonstrate the isomorphism I proceeded as follows:

Let \(\displaystyle f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) \) so \(\displaystyle f,g : \ R \to X \)

Consider \(\displaystyle \theta \ : \ Hom_R (R,X) \to X \)

where \(\displaystyle \theta (f) = f(1_R) \)

To show \(\displaystyle \theta \) is a homomorphism we proceed as follows:

\(\displaystyle \theta (f + g) = (f + g)(1_R) = f(1_R) + g(1_R) \)

\(\displaystyle = \theta (f) + \theta (g) \)

and

\(\displaystyle \theta (rf) = (rf) = rf (1_R) = r \theta (f) \) where \(\displaystyle r \in R \)

Then I need to show \(\displaystyle \theta \) is injective and surjective.

BUT ... I am having problems in demonstrating that \(\displaystyle \theta \) is injective ... can someone help me with this task?Note that I suspect one would proceed as follows:

Suppose we have \(\displaystyle f, g \in Hom_R (R,X) \) such that:

\(\displaystyle \theta (f) = f(1_R) \) and \(\displaystyle \theta (g) = f(1_R) \)

Now we have, of course, by definition of g, that \(\displaystyle \theta (g) = g(1_R) \)

So \(\displaystyle f(1_R) = g(1_R) \) ... but how do we proceed from here to show that f = g?

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose $f \in \text{ker }\theta$.

By definition, this means:

$f(1_R) = 0_X$.

Hence, for any $r \in R$, we have:

$f(r) = f(r\cdot1_R) = r\cdot f(1_R) = r\cdot 0_X= 0_X$

which show the kernel consists solely of the 0-map, and is thus injective.

It seems to me surjectivity is more of a problem, we need to prove there IS $f \in \text{Hom}_R(R,X)$ with:

$f(1_R) = x$, for every $x \in X$. I suggest looking at the submodule generated by $x$.

Deveno said:
Suppose $f \in \text{ker }\theta$.

By definition, this means:

$f(1_R) = 0_X$.

Hence, for any $r \in R$, we have:

$f(r) = f(r\cdot1_R) = r\cdot f(1_R) = r\cdot 0_X= 0_X$

which show the kernel consists solely of the 0-map, and is thus injective.

It seems to me surjectivity is more of a problem, we need to prove there IS $f \in \text{Hom}_R(R,X)$ with:

$f(1_R) = x$, for every $x \in X$. I suggest looking at the submodule generated by $x$.

Thanks Deveno ...

You are certainly right that proving \(\displaystyle \theta \) is surjective is a problem ... I am having problems proving it ... even given your suggestion ...

Can you help?

Peter

There is a reason that I suggested the submodule generated by $x$.

Note that if $Y \subseteq X$ is a submodule, then $\text{Hom}_R(R,Y) \subseteq \text{Hom}_R(R,X)$.

The obvious candidate is: $g(r) = r\cdot x$, which maps $R \to \langle x\rangle$.

Deveno said:
There is a reason that I suggested the submodule generated by $x$.

Note that if $Y \subseteq X$ is a submodule, then $\text{Hom}_R(R,Y) \subseteq \text{Hom}_R(R,X)$.

The obvious candidate is: $g(r) = r\cdot x$, which maps $R \to \langle x\rangle$.

Thanks Deveno ... Reflecting on your post now ... ...

Peter

Related to Demonstrating that a mapping is injective

What is the definition of an injective mapping?

An injective mapping is a function that maps each element of its domain to a unique element in its codomain. In other words, no two distinct elements in the domain can map to the same element in the codomain.

How can you demonstrate that a mapping is injective?

To demonstrate that a mapping is injective, we can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not injective. Additionally, we can also use algebraic methods such as proving that the equation f(x) = f(y) implies that x = y.

What is the difference between an injective mapping and a bijective mapping?

An injective mapping is a function that is one-to-one, meaning each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the codomain. A bijective mapping, on the other hand, is both injective and surjective, meaning each element in the codomain is mapped to by exactly one element in the domain.

Can a mapping be injective if it is not surjective?

Yes, a mapping can be injective without being surjective. In this case, not all elements in the codomain are mapped to by elements in the domain, but each element in the domain still maps to a unique element in the codomain.

How is injectivity useful in mathematics and science?

Injectivity is a useful concept in mathematics and science because it allows us to determine if a function has a unique inverse. This is important in many applications, such as cryptography and data compression. Additionally, injective functions are often used in mathematical proofs and can help simplify complex problems.