Density measurement

Main Question or Discussion Point

How to measure density as much precise as possible. Possibly with a waterproof balance under watter.
What the prices are?

Answers and Replies

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Density of *what*- gas, liquid , solid, powder, ...

I think density of solid. Piece of steel or..

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Then what you really need is an accurate method of determining the volume- the mass is easy.

Pycnometers measure volume, and there are commercial devices that are used for solids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_pycnometer

I'm more familiar with the use of a pycnometer for the volume of liquids, and most of the gas ones seem geared towards powders/porous materials, but calling some of the manufacturers should point you to an appropriate instrument.

Failing that, simply follow Archimedes' idea: place the sample in a full beaker of (degassed, distilled) water, collect the overflow and weigh it- since you know the density of water, you then know the displaced volume. I bet you could get 1% accuracy this way, easily.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Perhaps you could actually manufacture a cuboid to high dimensional tolerance (for volume) and then measure its mass. Using a 'Eureka Can' isn't a very accurate method of volume measurement.

There may be other approaches, like measurement of the speed of sound in the material. You would still have the problem of measuring dimensions unless you could somehow measure the reflection at the interface with a known substance.