Measure Density Precisely w/ Waterproof Balance: Price Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for measuring density accurately, including using a pycnometer or following Archimedes' principle. A pycnometer is a device used for measuring volume and can be used for solids, liquids, and powders. Another suggestion is to manufacture a cuboid with precise dimensions and measure its mass. Measuring the speed of sound in the material is also mentioned as a possible method.
exponent137
How to measure density as much precise as possible. Possibly with a waterproof balance under watter.
What the prices are?

Physics news on Phys.org
Density of *what*- gas, liquid , solid, powder, ...

I think density of solid. Piece of steel or..

Then what you really need is an accurate method of determining the volume- the mass is easy.

Pycnometers measure volume, and there are commercial devices that are used for solids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_pycnometer

I'm more familiar with the use of a pycnometer for the volume of liquids, and most of the gas ones seem geared towards powders/porous materials, but calling some of the manufacturers should point you to an appropriate instrument.

Failing that, simply follow Archimedes' idea: place the sample in a full beaker of (degassed, distilled) water, collect the overflow and weigh it- since you know the density of water, you then know the displaced volume. I bet you could get 1% accuracy this way, easily.

Perhaps you could actually manufacture a cuboid to high dimensional tolerance (for volume) and then measure its mass. Using a 'Eureka Can' isn't a very accurate method of volume measurement.

There may be other approaches, like measurement of the speed of sound in the material. You would still have the problem of measuring dimensions unless you could somehow measure the reflection at the interface with a known substance.

1. What is a waterproof balance and how does it work?

A waterproof balance is a type of scientific instrument used to measure the density of liquids and solids. It works by using a sensitive weighing mechanism that can accurately measure the mass of an object or substance.

2. What is the importance of measuring density precisely?

Measuring density precisely is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and geology. It allows scientists to accurately determine the composition and properties of substances, which can be crucial in understanding their behavior and potential applications.

3. How do I choose the right waterproof balance for my needs?

To choose the right waterproof balance, you should consider factors such as the maximum weight and readability of the balance, as well as its accuracy and precision. You should also ensure that the balance is suitable for the type of substances you will be measuring.

4. What is the price range for waterproof balances?

The price of a waterproof balance can vary depending on its features and capabilities. On average, a high-quality waterproof balance can cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. However, more advanced models can cost upwards of $5000.

5. How do I maintain and calibrate a waterproof balance?

To maintain a waterproof balance, it is important to regularly clean it with a soft, dry cloth and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture. Calibration should be performed regularly using certified weights to ensure accurate measurements. It is also recommended to have the balance serviced by a professional at least once a year.