Derivation of equations of stress tensor transformation

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike_bb
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Mike_bb
Messages
338
Reaction score
40
Hello !

I derived equations of stress tensor 2D transformation.
Some details: I have plane ABCD in two cases (see top on the pic) and I know tensor components for case 1 only. Only plane ABCD rotate in two cases (top of the picture) but not coordinate system. Coordinate system rotates only on the bottom of picture.
I want to obtain expression that connects tensor for case 1 and tensor for case 2.

My attempt:

1.webp


Are these equations correct? Is there more easier expression for stress tensor 2D transformation for my case?



Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2.webp


What does expression exist for this case? If we know only Sigma1 tensor then how to find Sigma2 tensor?