Derivative, i.e. D[ ] , of Re [ something ]

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, we are discussing how to differentiate a function defined as Re[Exp[I*t]] without manually reformulating it. The key is to use the chain rule and simplify the resulting expression using ComplexExpand. This will give the desired output of -sin(t).
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Wolfram tries to apply the chain rule and gets stuck simplifying Re'[something]
Consider these two examples:
D[ Re[ Exp[ I*t ] ], t ]
1636515381176.png

D[Re[Exp[I*t]],t] /. t-> 0.5
1636515439574.png

Mathematica seems to get stuck differentiating the "Re[ ]" function after (rather naively) applying the chain rule. This is a trivial example, but we might have a more complicated function defined like :-
myFn [ t _ ]:= Re [(* stuff *)]
... and we would like to find D [ myFn [ t ] ], t] without extra manual reformulation.

How can we do that elegantly and automatically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can either Wolfram or Mathematica do the calculation in two steps? I.e., by first calculating ##Re(e^{it})## and then differentiating that result?
Either of these should be able to simplify ##Re(e^{it})##, which is just ##\cos(t)##.

Likes member 428835 and jim mcnamara
Mark44 said:
Can either Wolfram or Mathematica do the calculation in two steps? I.e., by first calculating ##Re(e^{it})## and then differentiating that result?
Either of these should be able to simplify ##Re(e^{it})##, which is just ##\cos(t)##.
I'd do it like this, which worked for me, giving the desired output ##-\sin(t)##:

f[t_] = Exp[I t];
D[ComplexExpand[Re[f[t]]], t]

• Informative
Likes Swamp Thing

What is the derivative of Re[z]?

The derivative of Re[z] is simply the derivative of the real part of the complex number z. This can be written as D[Re[z]], which is equal to 1 since the real part is a constant.

What is the significance of the derivative of Re[z]?

The derivative of Re[z] can be used to find the rate of change of the real part of a complex function. It can also be used to determine the slope of the tangent line to the real part of the function at a specific point.

How is the derivative of Re[z] calculated?

The derivative of Re[z] is calculated using the basic rules of differentiation. This can include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function.

What is the relationship between the derivative of Re[z] and the imaginary part of z?

The derivative of Re[z] is independent of the imaginary part of z. This means that the derivative of Re[z] does not depend on the value of the imaginary part of z and will remain the same regardless of its value.

How can the derivative of Re[z] be applied in real-world situations?

The derivative of Re[z] has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze functions involving complex numbers and to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.