Derivative of f(x) = (-x-2)/(x-2)³ using quotient rule

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PhysicsinCalifornia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    deriving Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
PhysicsinCalifornia
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Please Help Me !

Hello,

I REALLY need help deriving a function

if [tex]f(x) = \frac{-x-2}{(x-2)^3}[/tex]
what would its derivative be?

Here's what I did so far::
Using the quotient rule,
[tex]f'(x) = \frac{(x-2)^3(-1) - (-x-2)(3(x-2)^2(1))}{((x-2)^3)^2)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{-(x-2)^3 + (x+2)(3(x^2-4x+4))}{(x-2)^6}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{-(x^2 -4x+4)(x-2) + (x+2)(3x^2 -12x +12)}{(x-2)^6}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{-(x^3 -4x^2 + 4x -2x^2 +8x -8) + (3x^3 -12x^2 + 12x +6x^2 -24x +24)}{(x-2)^6}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{-x^3 + 4x^2 -2x + 2x^2 -8x + 8 + 3x^3 - 12x^2 + 12x + 6x^2 -24x +24}{(x-2)^6}[/tex]
[tex]f'(x) = \frac{2x^3 - 24x + 32}{(x-2)^6}[/tex]

Is this the derivative, and if so, how can I find the critical numbers? (When the derivative equals 0 or DNE(does not exist))
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You took the derivative correctly, and nice job with the latex, but Ican't check through allthat simplification in my head. To find critical points, set the expression equal to zero and solve. It equals zero whenever the numerator equals zero (and the denominator isnt).
 
whozum said:
You took the derivative correctly, and nice job with the latex, but Ican't check through allthat simplification in my head. To find critical points, set the expression equal to zero and solve. It equals zero whenever the numerator equals zero (and the denominator isnt).

I first tried to solve when [tex]2x^3 -24x +32 = 0[/tex]
I thought it was easier to factor the numerator first

Getting: [tex]2(x-2)^2 (x+4) = 0[/tex]
There, much easier.

Now it's clear that x=2 and x=-4

Thanks for your help Whozum :smile:
 
You needn't have done all those additions & multiplications,u should have factored [itex]x^{2}-4x+4[/itex] in the 3-rd line and it would have been simpler.

Daniel.
 
PhysicsinCalifornia said:
I first tried to solve when
I thought it was easier to factor the numerator first

Getting:
There, much easier.

Now it's clear that x=2 and x=-4
Warning! Those are not the only critical points. A "critical point" is, as you said, a point where the derivative is 0 (i.e. the numerator is 0) or where the derivative does not exist (i.e. where the denominator is 0).
 
The function is not defined in the point [itex]x=2[/itex],so you could simplify through the monom [itex](x-2)[/itex] in the final expression of the derivative.

Daniel.
 
I got the following

6(x-2)^-4 + 3x(x-2)^-4 - (x-2)^-3

= (3x + 6 - x + 2) (x-2)^-4

= (2x+8)(x-2)^-4

I think my way is easier.