Derivative of Field-Operator and Vector-Potential

• Thread starter Abigale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of field-operators in the context of fermionic-annihilation-operators and electromagnetic-vector-potentials. The question is whether the step of $\nabla \vec{A} \Psi = \Psi \nabla \vec{A} + \vec{A}\nabla\Psi$ is possible, and if so, why. The solution is found by considering Coulomb Gauge and using the product rule for derivatives.
Abigale
Hello,

I regard field-operators, whereby [itex]\Psi[/itex] is a fermionic-annihilation-operator and

[itex]\vec{A(\vec{r})}[/itex] is an electromagnetic-vector-potential.

Is it possible to do the following step?

$$
\nabla \vec{A} \Psi =\Psi \nabla \vec{A} + \vec{A}\nabla\Psi
$$

And if its correct, why?

Thx
Abby

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I got a Solution.
If I consider Coulomb Gauge

$$
\nabla \vec{A}=0
$$
and I can write
$$
\nabla \vec{A} \Psi = \vec{A}\nabla\Psi
$$

$$
\nabla\cdot( \vec{A} \Psi) =(\nabla\cdot \vec{A})\Psi + \vec{A}\cdot\nabla\Psi
$$
by the product rule for derivatives. If you like, you can move [itex]\Psi[/itex] to the left in the first term, since [itex]\Psi[/itex] and [itex]\vec A[/itex] commute.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the derivative of a field-operator?

The derivative of a field-operator is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a field with respect to another variable. It is represented by the symbol ∂ and is commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics and electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the derivative of a field-operator related to vector-potential?

The derivative of a field-operator is directly related to the vector-potential, as it is used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic theory. The vector-potential is a function that describes the behavior of a vector field, and its derivative is used to determine the strength and direction of the field at any given point.

3. What are the applications of the derivative of field-operator and vector-potential?

The derivative of field-operator and vector-potential have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to study electromagnetic fields, quantum mechanics, and particle interactions. They are also used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, antennas, and other electronic devices.

4. Can the derivative of field-operator and vector-potential be calculated using numerical methods?

Yes, the derivative of field-operator and vector-potential can be calculated using numerical methods such as finite difference methods or numerical integration. These methods are used when analytical solutions are not possible or practical, and they provide accurate approximations of the derivatives.

5. How do the properties of the derivative of field-operator and vector-potential affect the behavior of electromagnetic fields?

The properties of the derivative of field-operator and vector-potential, such as continuity and differentiability, play a crucial role in determining the behavior of electromagnetic fields. These properties allow for the calculation of electric and magnetic fields at any point in space, which is essential for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.