Deriving the second Friedman equation from the first.

• I
  • Thread starter thebiggerbang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
In summary, the conversation discusses why the second Friedman equation is not commonly considered and the relationship between the first and second equations. The professor explains that the solutions for the first equation also apply to the second and that the first equation, along with its time derivative, can imply the second equation. The speaker is struggling with the algebra and questions if the professor's statement is true. They are then reminded to also apply the continuity equation.
thebiggerbang
Hello!

My professors asked me why we don't usually consider the second Friedman equation. He told me that the solutions for the first always give a solution for the second. He told me that the first equation along with it's time derivative can imply the second equation. I have been trying the algebra for a long time now, but I am not being able to get ahead.

I wanted to know if the statement that the professor made is true in the first place.

Space news on Phys.org
You cannot just take the time derivative. You will also need to apply the continuity equation (i.e., the fact that the stress-energy tensor is divergence free).

Thank you, that helped!

1. How do you derive the second Friedman equation from the first?

The second Friedman equation can be derived by taking the time derivative of the first Friedman equation and using the equations of motion for the scale factor and the Hubble parameter. This will result in a second-order differential equation for the scale factor, which can then be solved to find the second Friedman equation.

2. What is the purpose of the second Friedman equation?

The second Friedman equation is used to calculate the evolution of the scale factor of the universe over time. It is a crucial equation in understanding the dynamics of the universe and its expansion.

3. How does the second Friedman equation relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The second Friedman equation is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The second Friedman equation includes terms for the energy density and pressure of the universe, which are related to the energy conservation law.

4. Can the second Friedman equation be used to predict the future of the universe?

Yes, the second Friedman equation, along with other cosmological equations, can be used to make predictions about the future of the universe. By inputting different values for the energy density and pressure, scientists can determine if the universe will continue to expand, collapse, or reach a steady state.

5. Are there any assumptions made when deriving the second Friedman equation from the first?

Yes, there are several assumptions made when deriving the second Friedman equation. These include assuming a homogeneous and isotropic universe, neglecting the effects of dark energy, and assuming that the universe is described by the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) metric.