1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing vectors in n dimensions

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    Recall that A can be broken up into its components x,y, and z. Can You simply add more components to describe any number of dimensions. Where n would be nth dimension?

A=A_x+ A_y+A_z+⋯A_n

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

What's the square symbol for? And why do you have theoretical physics degree in your status thingy? Do you mean you will someday hope to get such a degree? I'm hoping of doing a theoretical phd someday. I didn't know there was such a thing as a purely theoretical undergraduate degree, if that's what youre talking about?

About the question: If we have a vector A, then it can be written (in some basis) as its components (A1,A2,A3,A4) For a four-dimensional vector, so yeah, there are as many components as there are dimensions.

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    For PhD I wrote what I'm striving for. Perhaps that isn't what I should do. :devil: I'll edit it.

I've only begun my third semester. :)

Edit: What square symbol?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  5. Sep 23, 2011 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

A=A_x+ A_y+A_z+⋯A_n
    The symbol ⋯ just before A_n it looks like two horizontal lines..

6. Sep 23, 2011 #5
    Oh sorry, that is supposed to be an ellipse (...) that indicates the sequence.

7. Sep 23, 2011 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You don't write it that way. The components are relative to a basis as Bruce mentioned. A vector can be represented as a linear combination of components relative to said basis vectors so it would be written compactly as [itex]V = V^{\alpha }\vec{e}_{\alpha }[/itex] where the repeated indices imply summation over all possible values the index can take. So, for example, a vector [itex]V \in \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] can be written, when equipped with the Cartesian chart, as [itex]V = V^{x}\vec{e_{x}} + ... + V^{n}\vec{e_{n}}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{e_{x}} = (1, 0, ..., 0)[/itex] and similarly for the other basis vectors.

8. Sep 23, 2011 #7
    I have to admit, I am not familiar with that notation. But I will mention that my book stated [itex]A=A_x\widehat{i}+A_y\widehat{j}+A_z\widehat{k}[/itex]. Which is why I simply put:

[itex] A=A_x\widehat{i}+A_y\widehat{j}+A_z\widehat{k}+...A_n\widehat{t}[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  9. Sep 23, 2011 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

No that is perfectly correct. It just wasn't in your original post is all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook